Chapter 18

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 18

Mia

I can't just sit here and wait for someone to find me. Not when I don't know where I am or who I am. I don't even know if anyone is looking for me. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who got caught in that storm. Or was I the only stupid one who was out in it?

Limping my way through the woods, I head towards the sun. At some point I have to run into the end of these woods. It can't be that far. Pulling myself up and over rocks, I try to find higher ground to get a good look around. Maybe if I can get above some of these trees, I can see a way out.

The sun moved from the left to overhead. The heat of it warmed up my skin and burned the cuts. The blood dried, the muds hardened and flaked off but the remnants of my trauma remained. The sun moved more and clouds began to form, shading the heat of the sun and cooling me down.

It was getting darker. It's been hours out here as I drag my feet up what I think is a trail. It's been washed out in spots but it looks like it was once a walking trail. I have to be getting closer to civilization.

Looking around where I've come to, it looks like people have been through here recently. There's boot prints in the mud. Paw prints in deeper areas. Maybe there's people looking for me. That's comforting. Someone misses me.

There is a cave up ahead. Maybe I can get up there and see if I can find them. Maybe I can get their attention even if they don't know me, maybe they will help me. Just a ride to the hospital or just into town. As long as it's out of this mess.

The hike up isn't as easy as I hoped. I don't think I am an outdoor kind of gal. I don't seem to have any strength at all to pull myself up the rocky cliffs. I'm not wearing hiking boots but standard running shoes that have been through too much and are no help to me. I can feel every pebble against the bottom of my foot. The pain of the sharp rocks cut through the rubber sole and into my skin.

I must be a city girl. I must not be from around here. Maybe I was on vacation or driving through and got stuck in the storm. That has to be it. I must be the high heels and dresses kind of girl. Give me a hot bubble bath and room service please.

"Not likely. My feet are killing me," muttering my sentiment, I crawl up the next edge of the rock and roll to my side. "If I ever get out of here, I'm never going to the woods again."

Laying on my back, breathing heavy, I take a break from my climb and rest. I can't do this. I can't keep climbing, my entire body feels like rubber and I'm exhausted and filthy and my head is throbbing. Covering my eyes, I close them and just let myself drift off.

"Up there! Look!" The sound of dogs barking and a man yelling wakes me. "Mia! Mia!"

"Mia!"

Another voice calling out a name, then another one. They sound like they are coming closer but I can't tell. My eyes are so heavy and I'm so tired I just want to sleep. I can't move anymore. I just don't have any energy left in me.

"Mia! Oh my God! Call the others! She needs a medi-vac out of here," a man ordered. "Mia? Honey, you have to open your eyes for me."

I felt something wet on my cheek and wondered if it was raining again. "Lump, no! Go lay down, Lump. Max, lay down. Good boys."

Dogs. I like dogs.

"She took a beating," she said, touching the wound on my forehead. "Do you think it was all from the storm or that Lindsey found her?"

"I don't know, Aub. But there's another storm coming in. We have to get her out of here before it hits or she won't make it," he quietly told her.

Aub? I don't know who that is.