Chapter 20

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 20

Aubrey

It was a long night at the house without Beckett being home. After everything that has happened, I was a little on edge about Chance and I being alone. We managed and with the additional security that Beckett installed, we were safe. It didn't help me sleep at all.

I need Beckett to come home.

I brought Chance with me to the hospital this morning to relieve Cole, who stayed the night with Mia. None of us are comfortable leaving her alone right now.

When I walked into the hospital, I knew immediately something was wrong. The police were wandering around the lobby, the staff were quietly talking behind their hands, and the look on people's faces just said there was a major problem.

I hope it's not Mia.

Hurrying up to Mia's room, I walked in and found Georgia and Cole talking to Wells. "Georgia, I'll handle it. Let's just get Mia some extra security for the time being."

Looking around the room, Mia is sitting up in bed, awake and looking better than she did yesterday. Cole is sitting next to her with a worried grimace on his face.

If Mia hasn't taken a turn for the worse, why is he so worried? It only took a moment for me to figure it out. One good look around the room told me everything I needed to know. It isn't over.

Across the room was the problem.

Sitting on the table was a large bouquet of flowers, black roses that look as if they were dipped in red paint. Blood red paint. That wasn't the worst part. In the middle of the bouquet was a large kitchen knife, stabbed into the top of the vase. Its blade was covered in blood.

"What is that?" I asked, stepping over to the table. One look I realized it wasn't the vase the knife was stabbed into but a human heart.

I think I'm going to be sick!

"That's a real heart! Oh my God! Who was killed? Who's heart is that?" My stomach turned as I examined the display.

I'm not a queasy person around blood and guts. I'm a doctor, a vet. I've seen plenty of things that have made me feel ill, but this was twisted, evil even. And completely crazy. Lindsey crazy.

Reaching out to take a closer look at the heart, my hand was grabbed before I could get to it.

"Don't touch it!" Wells warned me. "It's real blood. The police are going to take it into evidence. They're searching the building for the person who delivered it this morning."

"There's a card on it," I observed but didn't touch anything. "Has anyone read it?"

"It's another gift from a Secret Admirer." Cole isn't happy about this. He looks like he is ready to bite someone's head off.

I can just imagine how Beck would react if I received that thing. He would have made me stay attached to his side until the perpetrator was found and hung. Cole has the same expression on his face that I imagine Beck would.

Hoping for the best and bracing for the worst, I moved away from the thing and kept my distance. I can't believe we can't catch a break. This has been nonstop since Beckett came to town.

Lindsey has obsessed, tortured, tormented and stalked all of us. She miles away from here and she is still able to reach us. How? How could she know where to send it? Does she still have someone here who would help her?

Who have we overlooked?

"Who is it for?" I ask, hoping that it's just the wrong room, but knowing we aren't that lucky.