Part 14

The ship was just exiting the wormhole as Lance reached the bridge, the stars rushing by being replaced by tiny white specks as they slowed and stopped around the ship. The planet came into view in front of them, beautiful deep purple and gold shimmering and mixing across its surface in thick, luscious ribbons of color. Beautiful, but also weird. That was definitely not what a healthy planet was supposed to look like.

"What in the...?" Shiro whispered, leaning forward in his seat, his expression a mix of wonder and worry.

"Now this looks like an alien planet," Hunk agreed, taking another bite of the blue goo Coran had given him, which was supposed to help with stomach problems.

"I can't believe it..." the redheaded Altean murmured, walking to the front of the bridge and pressing his hand against the glass in horror. "Is this really Listor? It's nothing like what I read in the stories."

"The Galra have destroyed it, as they do every planet they come across," Allura growled, her hands clenched into fists on the control panel. The ship sped up, sinking into the clouds of color as it flew closer, and the view outside the windows disappeared, replaced with purple so opaque Lance couldn't see more than two or three meters in any direction. As they lowered further, it grew darker and darker until the purple was as near black as the space above, but without stars or any kind of light.

Finally, the ship fell beneath the clouds, and small dots of light appeared on the horizon which Allura directed the ship toward, her eyebrows furrowed in worry and sadness. As the lights grew larger, they formed into the blurry shapes of buildings, if they could even be called that. They looked more like giant, blobby towers, winding up into the dark sky and lighting the dead ground around them muted yellow and gray. The ship stopped near them, settling onto the ground, which sent up a wave of dust, sticking to the windows.

"This is where the signal came from," Allura informed the group quietly. "It looks like there is a group of natives gathering around."

"Great." Shiro purposefully got to his feet, staring out into the darkness. "Let's head out and meet them. Maybe we can figure out what happened here."