Part 16

"Alright. Let's go find that group Allura was talking about." Shiro turned and started out toward the outline of the glowing city, followed by the other Paladins. They walked for a few minutes, until a blurry group of vaguely humanlike creatures came into view ahead of them. Shiro raised his hands in the air, yelling: "We come in peace! We are the Paladins of Voltron, and we picked up your distress signal. We're here to help."

"The paladins of Voltron?" A shaky voice wondered breathlessly, and the shape in the front of the group stepped forward, stopping a few feet in front of Shiro. He looked like some sort of human-bird, black wings so dark they almost blended into the darkness all around tucked carefully onto his thin back, and sharp, yellow eyes shining out of a sculpted face covered with feathers.

Keith elbowed Lance, and he realized he'd been wrinkling his nose at the creature's appearance. Quickly fixing his expression, he focused back on the conversation.

"That's right." Shiro straightened, taking a hesitant step forward and offering a hand.

"I can't believe it...!" The creature's beak twisted into what looked like a smile, and he took Shiro's hand, using it to pull him forward, and placed a clawed hand on his head. The Paladins readied, hands flinching toward their weapons in case this was some sort of attack, but after a second, the bird-human let go with a worried expression. "I'm so sorry...I'm afraid I might have overstepped my bounds...that is simply the greeting we have here on Listor."

Shiro reached up and placed a hand over where he'd been touched, face filled with kind surprise. "It's warm."

"It is a wish of life and luck, here in the cold darkness," he explained sadly, a wing extending to gesture around in the dim, smoky air.

"What happened here?" Keith asked, stepping forward.

"The Galra came, years ago...We are a peaceful people, and couldn't fight back...They used our buildings, forced us out, and polluted the air while taking our precious gems...Once the air became unsafe and the planet cold, they took their leave, leaving us to die...But now the Paladins of Voltron are here!" His expression lit up again, and he clacked his beak happily. "I should have known there was no reason to worry once you all were resurrected! Even poisonous air cannot harm you! You are—"

"What!?" Hunk yelped, clamping a hand over his mouth, making his next words muffled. "You said it's poisonous!? The air!?"

"I knew it!" Pidge cried, scrambling for her helmet, which she'd been holding at her side.

Shiro's eyes widened, and he threw an arm back at them. "Everyone, cover your mouths!"

The Paladins quickly pressed their helmets, the visor sliding down to cover their entire faces, but Lance could already tell it was too late. He should've noticed the light dizziness, the headache, the way his vision was starting to blur. He wasn't a doctor or anything, but still!

"Princess! Close the castle!" Shiro yelled, his voice blaring through the speaker next to Lance's ear.

"Why? What happened?" Allura worried, the ramp retracting into the castle and closing on itself, sealing with a hiss of steam.

"Lance!"

"Hm?" The blurry image of Keith rushing toward him filled his vision. When had the world gotten so fuzzy? Why weren't his knees working right anymore? Damn, Keith looked so handsome when he was worried.

He felt strong arms grab his shoulders just as his knees gave up on doing their jobs and he stumbled sideways, falling into Keith's arms, which weren't as comfortable now that he was wearing armor.
As his eyes started to close, he felt both of them start to wobble, and Keith blinked hard, his eyes becoming unfocused. "Sorry, I can't..."

His voice trailed off as Lance fell into the soft darkness of his mind, closing his eyes and letting out a strained breath. It was warm inside his suit, and the slight pressure of Keith holding his shoulders was calming, reminding him of when his mother would hold him gently in her arms, humming some familiar song he couldn't quite remember.

After a second, even that memory faded, and he sank into unconsciousness, a light smile on his lips.