Part 15

He walked out, and Hunk jumped up, rushing after him, followed by Keith, Lance and Pidge, while Allura and Coran stayed behind. Keith patted Lance on the back with a consoling look before quickening his stride to follow the others out. Lance and Pidge reached the door at the same time, and the smaller girl glanced up at him, a shimmer of guilt hiding behind the anger in her eyes.

"Listen, Lance—"

"No, I don't think I will," he cut her off curtly, walking ahead out the door.

"Okay. Be like that," she grumbled, stalking after him. "Jesus, you're so immature."

"Oh, I'm immature?" he snapped, glaring down at her as she slowed down next to him, staring at the ground. "I'm so sorry, forgive me! I'll just go make sparkle eyes at..." He sent a worried glance ahead, making sure the others had already left.

"Fine. I get it." She sighed, reaching up to warp a hand around her right forewarn. "Would it help if I apologized? I am sorry."

"I don't know...I just—I need some time, okay?" The guilt rising in his chest only made his annoyance grow, and he sped up even more. This time, Pidge didn't try to catch up, purposefully lagging behind. As he got closer to the ramp down to the planet, the air got thicker and thicker, filling with the same purple smoke he'd seen around the planet. It also became colder, until he could see his breath mixing with the purple air in front of him.

"Ah, Lance, there you are." Shiro looked behind him as he stepped off the ramp and onto the rough, dead ground. "Where's Pidge?"

"She's coming," Lance assured him, unable to keep all the annoyance out of his voice.

Shiro frowned. "Did something happen between you two?"

"What?" He blinked, realizing he actually hadn't really done anything to get on the small Paladin's bad side. "N-No, not really. She probably just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. We're all on edge from last night." He looked to Keith for help, and the Red Paladin nodded quickly.

"Lance is right. Let's just focus on what's happening on this planet."

Shiro glanced between the two, his eyes asking a question neither of them wanted to answer, until Pidge trotted out of the castle, coughing on the smoky air.

"I'm here! Sorry, I was fixing something real quick and...Woah! It is cold out here!"