Part 18

Lance felt his heartbeat start to speed, although he couldn't tell exactly from what.

"Sorry." Keith frowned at the bumpy, wooden floor, avoiding his eyes. His hands were clenched together, thumbs running over each other again and again. "I know I should've asked you first."

"Ah, I don't really...mind..." he mumbled, his cheeks heating. "I'd choose the same thing."

Keith smiled hopefully, his purple-gray eyes shining. "That's good."

"Oh yeah," Lance blurted, kinda ruining the moment. "Are you okay? I kinda remember you not looking so good before I conked out."

"I was treated by the doctor," Keith assured him, holding up his hand, which wasn't shaky in the slightest. "I'm fine."

Lance looked down at his own hand, still trembling in the warm air, until Keith reached over and held it, keeping it still. When he looked over in surprise, the red Paladin quickly tried to let go with a guilty expression, but he grabbed his retreating gloved hand, holding it tightly.

"La—"

The door swung open, and another, larger bird man stepped in, making Keith and Lance jump to opposite sides of the bed, both their faces flushed.

"Oh, Keith! You seem lively!" The doctor laughed in a deep, booming voice, closing the door behind him without a sound.

"Y-Yeah. I feel much better now, thanks." Keith gave him a nervous smile, his eyes darting to Lance for a split second before landing back on the doctor.

"Good to hear!" He clacked his way over, and only then did Lance notice that his feet were bird claws as well. "And you must be Lance! My, this air must have really affected you!" He grabbed one of his arms, lifting it with a worried expression. "Look how thin and weak you have become!"

Keith pressed his lips together, smothering a laugh, and Lance pulled his arm away, giving the bird man an insulted glare.

"That's not...I'm fine, actually." He could only keep up his confident act for a few seconds before doubling over in a coughing fit, the air in his chest scraping painfully at his lungs as it left them. 

"I see." The bed bounced as the doctor settled himself in between the two, pulling a couple materials out of his bag. "Well, I was told to treat you, so I will, even though you are fine." The hint of sarcasm in his voice made Lance wince as he took a couple deep breaths, pushing himself upright again.

"F-Fine."

He laughed again as he uncapped a large bottle of what looked like liquid pollen and handed it to Lance, who eyed it suspiciously. "Let us start with drinking a couple medicines. Then I will check your lungs and blood, and give you a few more medicines to drink after the sleeping period."

Lance raised the bottle to his lips and tipped it  back, surprised to find the medicine light and sweet, with a slightly bitter aftertaste. After he'd chugged the entire thing, he took a deep breath and handed it back to the doctor, wiping his lips. His whole body felt strangely warm and tingly, like the feeling he got after rubbing his hands together quickly, and he couldn't tell if he was a fan of the feeling or not. But before he could decide, another bottle was shoved in his face, this one a dark red similar to Keith's jacket and even larger than the first.

"Wait, there's more?" he yelped, feeling sick at the thought of chugging another one.

"Ohoho, many more." The doctor grinned, reaching into his bag and pulling out two more bottles, each horribly colorful. "This is what you get for breathing poisonous air."

Lance leaned back on the bed to give Keith a 'Why didn't you warn me?' glare, and the red Paladin gave him a thumbs up in return, paired with an adorably apologetic smile. No, he wasn't getting off the hook that easily, no matter how cute he was! Although Lance couldn't really be mad at him when he looked like that.

A wing bopped him on the head, before dropping in front of him, blocking his view of Keith.

"Ow!" he grumbled, looking up to find the bird-man glaring at him.

"I have things to get to, and you have medicine to drink. Chop-chop, little human."

Lance groaned, bringing the next bottle to his lips. This was going to be a pain.