I'll Probably Regret This

Fox

I can't express how relieved I am to see other students. Paranoia still lurks in my system. Every time one of my other relived-looking classmates runs up to me I tend to jump. I apologize rapidly right after I accidentally elbow someone in the stomach. All she did was try to hug me from behind.

My guard is still up. I'm still wary that this could be a trap. Speaking of guards, tons are roaming the halls. That could indicate that this isn't a trap and defense was called in to help. They either stand by the walls or direct students into the mess hall.

Some people are still wearing their formal attire from last night. Suffering is written all over them. It hurts me to see their mascara-stained eyes and slumped postures. I probably also look like a mess. However, I'm not wearing my dress anymore.

My fingers idly play with my long sleeves. At first, I was mad at Robin. He betrayed us by leaving the room. Confusion also swims with my fury. I have no clue how he got into my room but he now scares me a bit.

A small part of me is grateful for the new clothes. But I also feel awkward wearing this outfit that doesn't match. Robin had also grabbed a shirt that was too big for me. My hands are covered by the sleeves. He didn't grab shoes, either. My flats do me well but I feel bad for Eden who is walking around barefoot now. It wasn't until this morning that she found out her high heel had snapped.

Other people are wearing normal clothes as well. I guess that means a lot of them stayed protected in their rooms. I don't think I would have risked that. If it were up to me, I probably would have tried to leave the castle.

My group follows a small crowd into the mess hall. I'm convinced this isn't a trap. I'm really trusting my intuition. There are not many people here compared to what we used to have. It's a sad sight. I wonder how many royals were taken last night but my heart aches when I think of the subject.

Even more guards are in this room. So is food. My stomach growls, reminding me how hungry I am. It isn't fresh food. It might have been extra from last night or an emergency stash. Either way, I'll take it.

"There's the head lady." Eden nudges my side and directs me to where she's sitting. Even more guards surround her. The head lady looks terrible, I notice. I can't imagine how much devastation she feels.

We must have arrived on the later side. Right as my group sits down at the table, the lady walks up to the podium.

The room is empty of chatter. A sad energy fills it.

"I have gathered you here on this devastating day to talk about a few things," She starts, her voice reaching all around the large room. All eyes, including mine, are on her. "There is no denying something very tragic happened last night. This was all unexpected. But, I don't want any of you to feel any more fear. Of course, that might be hard. Special defensives have been called and they are investigating the event."

Robin, beside me, makes an odd movement. His hand twitches, as if something shocked him. He lifts it to cover his mouth and tries to pretend it didn't happen. He glances at me. Usually, he holds my eye contact but he flinches away immediately.

I brush it off and turn my attention back to the announcement.

"Let's all take a while to grieve the ones we have lost but look back towards our future. Those of you who do not wish to stay here any longer are welcome to leave. There will be transportation open for the next week. You are also welcome to go home for the upcoming holidays and come back if you choose to. We invite you all to stay here, but we understand that is a hard thing to ask."

She goes on and on. I pay attention to every word. Trying to gather as much information about the event as possible. The head lady does not give any information about it, though. She preaches how we should all go back to normal life and that this won't happen again. I don't believe I can rest without knowing this group of awful people isn't paying for what they did.