Bull in a China Shop

Eden

Cold snowflakes land on my eyelashes and bite my nose. My winter boots make imprints in the snow. Bells chime from a distance. Children laugh in the busy crowds. Each store is filled with goods. Their big and bold signs advertise their specialties. My hands fiddle with a few coins, debating what I should buy.

"This is so nice of them to bring us out here to this town." Fox happily says. A fuzzy hood around her head has fallen off. Her hair is now wild from running around the place.

The school has offered those who chose to stay a trip to the nearest town. It was a few hours away. The travel was worth it, though. Fox and I have dedicated ourselves to finding gifts for our parents back home. We split up from our group immediately to go search the shops.

The streets are busy with people shopping for all their winter needs. This town has certainly recognized that because it is decorated with all things winter. I've seen many decorative snowflakes and hot chocolate is advertised at every corner. My heart flutters as I walk past a group of kids making sculptures out of snow.

Even though I'm having the best time already, I find myself searching for Arlo in the crowds. I had to ride separately from him on the train here, but before that, we talked. He's very worried about Robin so he plans on staying with him today. I don't blame him. Robin has been in a tough condition since his library confession. I haven't seen him at all since, but Arlo tells me he's in a great mental war.

I think we're all a bit shocked. Never in my life had I expected Robin to be a part of something so bad. My heart aches at the thought of that night. Robin looked so broken while he explained about his father and the organization he was trapped in. It has been decided that we'll talk about the subject further. It's been almost a week and we haven't talked about any of it. Of course, our schedules have been all over the place because of classes starting up again. Robin hasn't been going to any of his classes. He worries me and I pray that he gets into a better condition than he is.

I do want to help him. I will admit, I was shocked that night in the library. Truly shocked. I felt as though I was frozen where I stood. All the information was just too much for me to handle. After talking with Fox on the subject a bit, I have become more comfortable with the idea of helping Robin. Of course, I want to help him, but I'm scared of what I have to do to help. This could be some dangerous stuff we're dealing with but I trust Fox. She's confident in our ability to help Robin and destroy his father's plans.

"Why do you look so down?" Fox questions, "Let's have a good time." She wraps her arms around my shoulders and leads us in the direction of more buildings. I try to focus on the vivid signs hung up in the stores instead of my thoughts. This is a special occasion, I want to enjoy it.

"Do you think mother would like some tea cups? You know how she loves to collect them." I suggest and gesture to the store with all kinds of cups and dishes on display. Fox's attention turns toward where I'm pointing and she immediately pulls me over to it. "Yeah! That'll be great."

The shop is warm and cozy. Different shelves line the walls with all sorts of items. The shopkeeper greets us and offers us any help. A little cat sits on her counter sleepily. Immediately, I felt welcomed in here. Before I go looking farther into the store I strip my heavy winter coat and hang it on the rack. Fox does the same.

"Are you wearing my shirt?" I question Fox after she takes off her coat and reveals a shirt that looks too familiar. She lets out a nervous chuckle and crosses her arms over it to hide it. "I thought we could co-own it." She flashes me a smile. I do my best to look mad at her but she knows I'm faking it. "That, and I forgot to do laundry this week." She finishes and rushes off. I let out a tiny giggle at my forgetful sister.