𝟐.𝟒

Y/N sat on the riverbed, her hand swaying in the green of the water before her, warm and clear, just like the air around her. Her friends were downstream, laughing loudly, chasing a ball around, being themselves. Connie chasing Sasha, Jean and Eren arguing, Mikasa and Armin devising a plan to win, everything was just the same, and Y/N was happy.

At times like this, she felt full. The hunger had been extinguished and her mind was at rest. The sky was fading blue and the sun was golden, and that was enough to set her heart racing. If she had ever known true love, she imagined that it would feel like this.

The side of her face was resting on her knees that were uncovered due to the fact that her sundress had spilled all around her, and she watched in the distance as Mikasa tore away from her friends, looking around before she made eye contact with Y/N, smiling widely.

Mikasa ran towards Y/N, dropping swiftly by her friend's side as Y/N lifted her head to laugh.

"You okay?" Mikasa asked, pushing Y/N's hair away from her face.

"Course I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be okay?"

It was summer, Y/N had no exams, and she'd finally be entering her last year of university in a few months. Her friends were happy and good, her family had been better, and for once, she felt better.

"No reason. I was just wondering why you were sitting by yourself and not with the rest of us." Mikasa asked, peering at Y/N, who continued to smile.

"I was taking it all in. Sometimes I can't believe you guys exist."

Mikasa laughed, before placing her elbows behind her to rest.

"I could pinch you if you want. Just to make sure."

"Ouch. No thanks." Y/N shrunk away playfully, before going silent again.

"You know I'm always gonna be here. Right?" Mikasa announced as Y/N nodded, turning back to look at her best friend.

"I know." She said, not wanting to say more. She could feel the direction at which this conversation was going into.

"And if you ever want to talk about-"

"No. I don't want to talk about him. He doesn't exist in this little world I have anymore Mikasa. He's gone. We're done." Y/N said firmly, not rudely, but very firmly, and Mikasa nodded, looking over at the water sparkling before them.

"I know he's gone. You just never talked about it." Mikasa spoke up after a few minutes of silence as Y/N sighed, the familiar feeling of heart wrenching creeping back up on her again.

"Everything about him was true, and I couldn't stand the fact that it was. You know me Mika, I can't be with someone who's done all of that. The thought that he could turn around and do the exact same thing to me was eating me alive." Y/N blurted out, peering over her shoulder to look at Mikasa who had a slight frown on her face.

"I know. But I think he was serious about you. Truly."

"You're his cousin." Y/N said with a tone of distaste.

"That doesn't affect the way I view him, at all. You know if worse came to worse, I'd pick you over him, any day."

"Hmm." Y/N hummed in agreement, not wanting to enter treacherous waters. If what she had learnt last year was true, than what Mikasa was saying was a lie, that indeed, blood was thicker than water for the Ackermans.

"Why did you mention we were cousins?" Mikasa asked as Y/N shrugged.

"I thought maybe some sort of sibling instinct made you defend him."