𝟐.𝟓

𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐲 𝐈'𝐦 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

He'd have to make an appearance, sooner or later. His belongings were already strewn across the house, obvious signs that he'd been staying here a few days.

Levi dragged a hand across his face in distress, not knowing what to do. The girl who held his heart in her hand and smashed it into pieces was in the water, a mere few meters away from him, giggling and laughing with all her friends. Looking up and playing around with the guy she was just friends with, and it made his blood boil.

Her laughter rang in his ears, and he felt so starved suddenly. She had never sounded so happy as she did then, her squeals making his heart ache in a way that he hated. He should've hated her. God, he was prepared to ruin everything for her, and she'd decided to crush his heart the way he'd crushed a million others.

Perhaps he deserved it. Y/N was his karma, all pretty and perfect, ruining the man he almost was for her. And there she was. He could call her name out and she'd hear it. Maybe he'd pretend to be a ghost, and pretend to haunt her the way she had haunted him for the last half of the year.

She'd followed him everywhere, the idea of her lingering in his thoughts, eating him alive. He caught wind of what happened, some hero must've finally unveiled his past to her, and naturally, she broke his heart before he broke hers, which angered him all the more.

The deal was off with Y/N. She wasn't a part of anything, nothing but his little chance at happiness in this wretched town, and she'd ruined it.

The lights were off in the kitchen that opened itself to the lake before him. Levi mentally argued with himself, thinking about how much time he had to stuff all his things in a bag and make a run for it, or whether he should go say hi to the brats he hadn't seen for a good couple of months.

He moved closer, resting against the kitchen island where they had spent previous summers eating upon, memories blurred and happier than his others. And now, she'd replace him at this table, holding his crushed heart all the same, bringing even more light to the table than he ever could.

Levi watched closely as his cousin creeped up behind Eren, who was too busy playing around with Y/N to notice Mikasa's sly movements, and with a quick but firm push to the back, Eren had plummeted into the lake, sending waves of water everywhere, squeals erupting again.

He watched as she laughed, her face a mixture of delight and fear as Eren emerged, jaw clenched as he threw a deadly look Mikasa's way, before heading towards Y/N, determined to catch her.

Y/N screamed again, laughter breaking through before she swam away frantically, her efforts failing as Eren ducked under the surface again.

Levi watched as she swished around in the water, looking like a goddess of the lake, glowing in the summer sun, her eyes bright, her smile wide. She looked much more happier than she had in the brief time Levi had known her, and that made him even more angry.

Her radiation and happiness was further proof that Levi in fact wasn't good for her, and that her harsh decision was for the best. The best for her, that was.

Her voice became irritating, and the sick, horrible part of him hated how happy she was. Without a moment more, Levi slid the glass door open, his breath getting caught up as he walked closer to her, but still so far away.

Her white summer dress pooled around her, making her look so divine, water droplets running across her skin twinkling in the light, and Levi found himself cursing his past self, for if he had just kept to himself, he would've had her. She would've been his.