4 ~ The Ascent

I am in a dark house. A woman is sitting on a couch, her back to me. There aren't any lights on, but as I approach her, I see that she isn't just any woman.

Somehow, I am face to face with my mother. The same mother who was killed by a Revenant when I was almost 13 years old. I sink to my knees, tears spilling over my face. She stands up and comes over, kneeling down before me.

"Oh, Lilith," she says softly, her voice sounds so kind, so deep and silky, a lot like mine does now that I've grown up. She wipes the tears away with her thumbs, and smiles sadly. "I am so sorry I left you. My love, you were not born the way you think. There is so much I was going to tell you, that that vamp took from us. But now that you're here, I can tell you. But we don't have a lot of time, so you must listen to me, let me speak. Alright?"

I nod, my throat aching with the effort of holding in my tears.

"You grew up with two mothers, me, and Gabrielle. She and I loved you so much, Lilith. But you were born from the union of me and a man called Kaizer. He was not a good man. In fact, he is actually one of the most powerful forms of a daemon out there. A Jaeger. They are what first made the lesser Daemons, like the Revenants. And Kaizer, as I knew him, was the king of them. The Jaeger are vile, far more powerful than any other daemon or vamp. There are now so many of his kind, but the majority of them are trapped. A young vamp once used her magic to seal them in one specific form. Usually, that form would be an enlarged version of an animal. But some still hold the power to become human."

"The Jaeger.... they are awakening now, aren't they?"

My mom nods.  "Yes. They have been trapped in a slumber for nearly twenty-seven years. Trapped three years before your birth by a vampire, they have all been asleep. But now that this is happening to you, they are waking up."

"Why now?" I ask.

"The death of your mortal soul was the end of their slumber. You and the vampire who did this to them are connected through fate. You must find her, Lilith. I do not know her name. But perhaps Druella, your new mom, does. This vampire and you are fated mates, and her magic was linked to your mortal life. She didn't think you would die so soon, obviously. She thought you'd live to be an old woman, and by then, she'd have found a way to kill the Jaeger. But alas. That is not how it went."

"So, if she did this years before I was born. How did the magic work then?" I ask.

"At first, her magic was linked to me. But when I became pregnant by Kaizer, his magic in me awoke that spell. It changed the magical link. I don't know how. But, Lilith, you aren't just a vampire now. You are also a Jaeger. You're a dangerous mix of power, and if the wrong people find out.... They will not hesitate to try and kill you. Or worse."

"Mom, I can't keep it a secret forever. Especially not from Ruse and the others. They'll find out."

She nods. "I know. But they will understand, given time. For now, you must go. And find the girl whose destiny is linked so much with your own. She will find you, or you'll find each other. Regardless, if you need help to find her, ask your allies. I am sure that they can help you. I love you so much, Lilith. So does Gabrielle. We will watch over you. Always."

She kisses my forehead. And then, she and the rest of this world I've found myself in just fades away ....