16 ~ The Bitter Taste of Loss

After one of the longest nights of my life, spent in the infirmary, I give birth to a lovely, healthy baby girl. She is so cute and sweet, and every time I look at her, seeing her mismatched eyes, I remember her father. The look on Ruse's face as he'd found out he would be her father .... right before he turned to ash ....

My baby girl, with her pale skin and bright amber eyes, her head covered with thin, black hair.... she's amazing. And she is in danger.

The Jaegar have found out about her birth somehow. I don't know how. But she's in a lot of danger, and I need to have her go somewhere that I cannot find her. I need to lose the only part of Ruse I still have left ... because if I don't, she will likely be killed.

My daughter, who I ended up naming Ren, is going to leave the facility tomorrow night with a convoy. Zakariah is taking her deep into the unknown world beyond the city walls, and I will likely only see her once the Jaegar threat is dealt with. I don't know how long that will be. I just know that I'm losing Ren, and she's going to grow up with her surrogate grandpa.

Not either of her parents. Not me, not Ruse.

And as Druella is the leader of this group, she's stuck here. But Zakariah is allowed to leave, and he does.

I kiss Ren on the forehead, promising my baby girl that I'll see her again one day. I tell Zakariah to keep her safe, no matter what.  He nods and hugs me, telling me how brave and strong I am.

But I don't feel strong or brave. No, I feel alone and broken. I am alone and broken. My daughter's gone. My lover, Ruse.... I am the reason he's dead.

Late one night, several nights after Ren was taken, I sit alone in the cafeteria. I'm not looking at anything, just lost to my own thoughts. I am wholly broken. Totally, undeniably broken.  I've lost my family. And there's nothing I can do about it.

Footsteps scuff against the tile floor, and I sense the anxiety torrent that's floating off her in waves. Cerridwen. She stops before my table, and she looks a bit nervous.

She smiles a bit nervously, and looks at the ball I'm rolling against the table. The bouncy, rubber ball rolls around, the only sound that fills the space.

"Dru has an assignment for us," she says.

I look up at her. "Oh?"

She nods. "We need to go to this place called the Nest, it is where the Jaegar are supposed to be resting. Like, it's basically their home."

I nod. "Okay. How many others are coming?"

She looks down at the papers in her hands. "Niamh, Sabrione, and Timandra, a new girl."

"Okay. Well, when are we to head out?"

She looks back down at her notes. "In about an hour."

I nod. "Alright. I'll wash up and meet you in the loading bay."

Cerridwen nods and clears her throat.  "Yeah. Okay, thats good. I'll see you in a bit." She turns on her heel and leaves.