6 ~ The Time for Rest

I lay down in my bed, after having eaten a quick dinner. My attention wanders as I lay in my bed, in my dorm room in the southwest part of the compound we live in. But when I drift off, my sleep is full of nightmares. Images I can barely see, or even grasp their meaning. But before long, the horror of it all seeps into my heart, forcing me awake.

So, I get up and shower, then pull on some clothes and some flat shoes, then I wander the halls. Finally, I find myself in the training room. So, I pull on some boxing gloves and face the nearest punching bag.

After some time, I lose track of how long I've been down here, fighting the various dummies and punching bags, doing my best to stay in shape. And ignore the anxieties crawling their way up my throat, affecting my mind. Poisoning me.

I am in the middle of training when a voice rings out across the big, chamber-like room we have been using for training. I whirl, and Ruse catches my fist before I can strike him in the face. A smile crosses his face, and he shows me his sharp fangs as he does.

"Think you can take me?" he asks softly, his tone a mix between pleasant and cocky.

"Dont see why not," I say, smirking back at him.

"I made you what you are, you know," he says, a soft chuckle coming from him. "I'm sorry, but .... why are you down here, not sleeping?"

I sigh. "Don't want to talk about it, Ruse."

He sighs. "Well, if you can't sleep, why not go on a mission with me?"

"What kind of mission?" I ask.

"One where the two of us won't be alone," he says, a soft smile crossing his face. "I have a crew ready. Santiago said you were down here, he heard you beating the shit out of the dummies. So he asked me to make sure you were okay."

I shrug. "Never better."

"Yeah, the dummies agree," he mutters sarcastically.

"What's this mission?"

Ruse bites his lip.  "We are going on a recon and surveillance trip. To see if we can locate either Auggaroth or the name you were given, Dolgalath. They are both something to be feared, so we have a whole unit. But I insist on you coming. You found this for us. You should come along."

"Alright. When do we head out, then?"

"Now."