17 ~ The Assignment

After I leave my room, I head down to the loading bay, where Sabrione, Timandra, and Niamh and Cerridwen are waiting. 

Cerridwen looks up at me, a soft look in her eyes that sets my teeth on edge. I sense her emotions, I understand that she has feelings for me, but...

After I watched Ruse die, and lost my daughter, I don't know if love is right for me. Not anymore. We climb into the jet, and I clip myself in. As soon as we are all ready, the jet takes off and leaves the loading bay.

Cerridwen is beside me, and she leans over to speak to me.

"I'm sorry about everything, Lilith."

"I don't need or want your pity," I mutter.

Niamh clears her throat. "Okay, so, a Jaeger was found in the middle of downtown. This one is seemingly a green and white dragon, with yellow eyes. The Jaeger is a woman, too. But she's been trapped in her dragon form since the curse, and we don't know if she even has a human form anymore."

"A Jaeger that's a dragon. That's great," Timandra says, shaking her head.  Her brown hair sways in her hazel eyes, and her dark skin is streaked with sweat. She looks at me, a weird look on her face.  "Didn't you face another dragon Jaeger?"

"I did," I say.

She hums and leans back, tilting her head back. I look over at Sabrione, who clicks her tongue and sighs.  "This is going to be fun, I can tell."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The dragon Jaeger, a female called Izzen, is massive and as we step around her, ready to fight, she whips her tail, smacking at us. But luckily, Timandra avoids the creature's tail. The Jaeger roars, and starts to run full speed at Sabrione and Timandra.

Seeing her chance, Niamh pulls out her crossbow, readying it and aiming the weapon right at the dragon's scaly hide. Then, she fires. The bolt slams into the beast's side, and she screams in pain.

Cerridwen does the same, firing off her bolt from her own crossbow. The dragon roars, her yellow eyes flashing with pain and rage. I then bring my hands up, and summon the shadows that curl around me and surge forth. They cover the dragon, effectively blinding it.

Niamh and Cerridwen both shoot the dragon with their bolts, the tips of which are poisoned, or sedated.

We are meant to bring the dragon in for containment. Soon enough, the beast is out, its eyes closed, body limp. Sabrione and Niamh both cheer with excitement. I just stare down at the beast, wondering what the hells I could've done differently, if only for Ruse and Ren.