11 ~ The Soul Mates

When Niamh, Santiago, Ruse, and I reach Northwood Beach, the four of us disembark from the Jeep, and head toward the address we had gotten from some online snooping. Ruse holds my hand as we walk, and Niamh and Santiago walk ahead of us.

"You okay, Lili?"

I shrug. "Not sure."

We cross the street and head down the sidewalk in silence. When we at last reach the big, white and blue house on the left side of the street, Niamh steps ahead and knocks on the door. The painted, pale yellow door creaks open slowly. And there, is none other than the female from the pictures we'd seen from the aforementioned snooping.

Her pale face seems to flush, and her purple eyes widen when she sees me. Her white hair falls in her face, and she swallows hard. I could.... I can feel her. Not.... not in a weird and awkward way. No, I mean, I can feel the way she breathes. The pounding of her heart. Anxiety that swirls through her chest.

Cerridwen stares at us, and clears her throat softly.  "Um, may I help you?"

"Are you Cerridwen?" Niamh asks, her tone sweet.

Cerridwen looks at me. I feel her palpable anxieties, as well as her fear. Her eyes lock on my hand, still entwined with Ruse's. She looks back to Niamh. 

"Um, yes? Can I help you?"

"Hi, I'm Niamh, and I'd like to talk to you. Well, we would like to speak with you. May we come in?"

Cerridwen shrugs. "Can I ask why?"

"Oh, yes. We are from the UFA, and we need to discuss some things with you."

Shrugging, Cerridwen's amethyst gaze locks on me once more. "Um, yes. But what can I help you with? I have done nothing wrong."

"Oh, we know, we are here ...." Niamh's voice trails off.

I step forward.  "We have reason to believe someone might be .... after you."

"After me?" she asks, clutching a locket around her neck. She looks at Ruse, then back to me. "Why me?"

Niamh looks at me. I let go of Ruse and slowly approach Cerridwen. "Look. I'm Lilith, and I  —"

"Lilith?" Cerridwen asks, eyes wide.

I nod. "Yes. My name is Lilith."

Her hand flies to her mouth. She stares at me, tears springing to her eyes. "My gods...."

"What?" I ask her, confused.

"You .... you can feel my emotions, can't you?"

Niamh looks around, then to Santiago, who only shrugs. I glance at Ruse as he steps up beside me. He wants to protect me. But honestly, I doubt that Cerridwen would hurt me, even if she could.

So, I nod. "And I am assuming you are feeling my own?"

Cerridwen swallows hard, the sound audible. "Um, yes. But - but, Lilith .... I think we are soul mates!"

"Soul mates?" Ruse asks, his voice shockingly soft.

She nods. "Y - yes."

"What does that mean?" Ruse asks her kindly.

"We are destined for one another, supposed to marry, and ...." Her voice trails off, and she looks back to Ruse. "Oh, gods! You two are a couple. Oh, I'm so sorry. Please, just ignore me!"

"We need your help," Ruse says softly. "Cerridwen, would you mind coming with us?"

"It's for your protection, as well as mine," I say.

Cerridwen looks to me. "Okay."