1.

"Okay, let's do the choreography once more?" says Ye-Jun, my current roller skating partner, pulling me out of my focused state. He is a few months older than me and incredibly talented. The way he does everything so effortlessly makes me admire him every time since we became friends.

I nod and glide my skates across the smooth surface as I give him a gentle smile, which he returns. With a final, affirming look, we smoothly begin to practice our choreography. The new season has begun and the coach wants us to compete in the upcoming competition. We compete every year and have won almost all of them. Not to be arrogant, but we are quite the team.

As our routine slowly comes to an end, the sound of hand clapping is heard, the coach slowly walks onto the rink with a proud grin. "'Without a doubt you two will make it far,'" he smiles broadly as we share a modest glance. Ye-Jun looks down before grabbing my hand and together we skate forward to meet our coach.

The two of us bow and greet him. "Thank you, Jun-Young" He shakes his head and grabs both of our shoulders. "No need to thank me, you guys are the best on the rink, it's only fair that hard work pays off" Gratefully smiling, we bow again and skate off the rink after being dismissed.

"You heard that? Best of the rink" Ye-Jun nudges my shoulder as we sit on a wooden bench in the locker room and untie the laces of our roller skates. "I heard it, but I think he's exaggerating a bit" Grinning, I pull off my skate and watch a bewildered Ye-Jun scoff.

"Always so modest Dahlia, it is time to acknowledge that we are more than good. See those awards?" he points to the cabinet that holds all the awards our club has ever won. Golden trophies glisten in the light, without a speck of dust. He won't let me answer and speaks again.

"Half is ours, earn it." 

Smiling, I shake my head and tug off my last skate and put it in my personal locker. In it are some pictures of me and my friends and my skating equipment. Closing my locker and putting the key away, I walk over to a grinning Ye-Jun. I poke his head, causing him to lean back dramatically with a frown.

"I think all that fame is getting to your head" He continues grinning and slings his bag over his shoulder before a frown takes over. "Actually, I wish roller skating got the same recognition as ice skating" He turns and starts walking backwards as I walk forward, silently agreeing. 

"If that were to happen" A smirk takes over. "Then I might let that fame get to my head" I roll my eyes as Ye-Jun rejoins me.

"I'm so glad you're not in the same school as me."

He gasps falsely hurt and puts a hand on his chest. I merely raise my eyebrows. "What?"

"You did not just say that, my heart hurts now" He pouts and adjusts his strap around his shoulder.

"What heart? You put your hand on an empty, hollow spot" This time he stops abruptly and spins his head rapidly in my direction, then his face changes as he nods with realization, before shrugging his shoulders. "Maybe you're right."

I burst out laughing before shaking my head. "You're someone else, I swear. I don't understand how anyone else can put up with you." I say and then put my hand in the air to quickly interrupt him. "And don't say 'I don't know either,' you'll sound pathetic."

He grins and nudges my shoulder again. "You know me too well, Dahlia" After that, a comfortable silence lingers as we are both consumed by our thoughts. Arriving at the exit, I send him a final smile and wave him off. 

"See you next week!" He stands there, waving at me with a faint grin, and then finally walks the opposite direction.

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫