2 - She is Here

391 B.C. - City of Caere, Coast of the Tasurian Peninsula, Spring, Month of Maius

Falx

Her body slams into mine and I nearly swallow my tongue.

This feeling. Her, in my arms... gods I missed this. My demon is in fucking shock. A first. Pathetic. The Fyrriin goes weak at the feeling of an Acera female in his arms.

I nearly laugh. She is delectable, my traitorous little wench. My demon is recovering, his burning red eyes fixated on his obsession with lethal intent. We have raged over losing her for years. It's stunning that she's here. She is here.

All my plans for Caere have shattered so suddenly that I lose my train of thought. Other plans, thoughts and ideas that have been spinning in my head for months, spring forward. I've sent slave after slave to Rune, conquered every city and village from my city to both coasts, east and west. I am the Warlord of Rune, not just the Fyriin, and yet I couldn't find her. Couldn't forget her, either.

Head buzzing from my female's presence, from what I intend to do to her, I do my best to shake off my stupor. It doesn't work. Silently condemning my weakness at her slightest touch, I recover enough to propel her forward until we reach the portico of the Mother's temple.

Bending my head to her I inhale her sweet scent. I have to swallow past my fangs and forked, flickering tongue to whisper harshly, "don't move." Indicating one of my horned warriors with a nod I snarl more loudly, "watch her." Slowly, I peel my hands away from her and set her aside, a hands-breadth, no more. "Stay," I command in a low voice, dark with promise from my demon.

Good gods, she's robbed me of fucking speech. I'm using phrases, spitting single words like a hatchling, not even capable of stringing a full sentence together. She's a witch, a sorceress.

She is here.

"General, please, she is a priestess of Selen," the head priestess, the Hatrencu, protests, her strong voice trembling. The woman fears for my woman. I ignore her, the Hatrencu has hidden Thania from me. It's an irrational thought and I know it. The shock on the woman's face speaks of her ignorance of just who my former slave girl is, but still...

I force my mind back to the crowd. My duty. I have to deal with them, first, make them quail at our presence in their precious, liberal city of shapers and Acera, the weak and impure. Too long has Caere existed in peace because of the gold they have from their seaport. It belongs to the Tasuri now. To me.

I have to remind them who rules here now, force them to submit to our authority, but I've forgotten my speech. The same speech I've given thrice before. My demon wells up, eyes red, infuriated. I take several steps away, the crowd thinning, giving way to me. I manage to find my voice again and thunder, "twelve priestesses will be sworn to the goddess Arthe, to lie with a Tasuri noble, to be his, sworn before the goddess. You have two days to make your selections before I make them for you."

The crowd reacted predictably, the gasps of confusion and astonishment, the fear written on their faces becoming more acute. Cowards, they squawk like chickens.

Except for my woman. She stands still, though she's breathing heavily as she edges away from my warriors as though an accidental touch from one of the Tasuri surrounding her will contaminate her ivory skin.

I hear myself say, "come to me." The demand familiar, but nearly forgotten. It wasn't often I had to command her presence. She was always there within arms reach whenever I desired her.

My demon chortles, laughing at me. I always desired her. Always wanted her soft, sweet scent surrounding me. I push him away. He has no room to laugh. He's just as obsessed as I am.