12 - Obsidian

391 B.C.E. - Private Quarters of the Priestess, The Temple of Arthe, City of Caere, Coast of the Tasurian Peninsula, Spring, Month of Maius

Falx

Jealousy is worse than a whip. It's being skinned open, then having the tender, raw flesh underneath filleted before the rest of you is boiled.

"You can't kill Quint. He's our brother," Tems reminds me patiently.

My demon peers at our friend through a blood-red haze of rage.

"She asked for him tonight," Tems reminds me as if I need it.

Quintus stands stalwart, arms folded over his chest, eyes hard and determined. "I don't want you touching her while we consummate-" he begins.

"Shut the fuck up," I seethe.

His muscles tense. "She told me to be with her, called me a liar," he rasps. "She doesn't think I want her."

The low laugh is ripped from my chest. The training yard is quiet. Quintus told me exactly what Thania said after we strung up Herennius Datti next to his shaper servant. A well-played maneuver. I assume Quintus knows my rage will be turned on the lesser noble as soon as he tells me why it should be.

"You will have her as Tems did," I offer. I want to keep my hands on my female while another male touches her.

"We already did that, Flax," Quintus reminds me. "I held her while you hovered like a vengeful spirit over us."

"You didn't fuck her that night," I remind him, pushing away the memory.

He frowns. "It's about more than just fucking."

I turn to pace away as my demon shudders in shame and anger. It was about fucking, those years ago. Thania was my bedslave, meant for mere sport. I pushed away how I felt for too long and lost her, but Quintus... he always wanted more from her. He expected more. "She is no longer your intended wife," I remind him.

"I never had the chance to wed her because she ran from us," he reminds me. "If I had wed her, would you have intruded on our bedding? Do you think no one would lift an eyebrow at the Warlord of Rune participating in his General's wedding night? I want that night, Falx."

"She is not a slave or your wife," I tell him. "Everything has changed. Tonight is about a bond, not a marriage. She had the ceremony with me," I point out. "She is sworn to me in front of her goddess."

"A goddess you arbitrarily chose to subjugate the temple and poke the pride of Rune," Quintus snaps. "She knows why you are doing this, Falx."

"Yet," Tems quickly steps between us, "Thania believes in the goddess. She is devout, so she accepts all three of us."

"I want her to myself, Falx. For a night. One night," Quintus clenches his jaw so tightly that the muscles jump.

"No," I snap, ending the discussion. "Tell me why this pissant is here," I demand, striding over to Herrenius.

"He tried to touch our female," Quintus explains after a pause. I can see his demon fighting for control. "He also told her and I that he had purchased an Arthe priestess."

My blood heats. Scales ripple along my arms as I smile at Herrenius. "Purchased?" I muse out loud. "Interesting. I don't remember selling the priestesses as back-alley whores."

I have been waiting for the generals of Rune's armies to come to Caere for weeks. So far, the only bite we've had is Florian, who has already made his selection and is merely waiting for his chosen priestess to be more receptive to him. A close friend, Florian's family has had bad luck with the plague. There haven't been any hatchlings born in his House since Florian's younger sister and several of his cousins died from the same sickness before their demons were old enough to protect them. The male is quiet and reserved and, unfortunately, while a great leader of his army, is too taciturn to have many influential friends.