11 - Tonight

391 B.C.E. - City of Caere, Coast of the Tasurian Peninsula, Spring, Month of Maius

Thania

As I walk to the Temple Mount, I surreptitiously glance around for the General. His dark shadow isn't anywhere to be found. His continued absence is something I'm becoming used to in these last two weeks.

Our... union... is not going well. Falx has not allowed Tems to be with me since the night I listened to the gods and chose to strengthen their blood oath. The wealthy Tasuri noble flirts endlessly, driving Falx mad, but Tems is careful to not push too hard and infuriate the Warlord. I question if it would matter. Falx is hoarding every small moment together like a raven hoards shiny objects.

In the meantime, General Quintus has made himself scarce, and somehow the knowledge that he wants nothing to do with me, with us, hurts.

I can't figure out why it feels so rotten, except that I'm risking everything, my daughter's security, my body, and my heart, yet Falx's endless jealousy and the taciturn general is threatening to end my 'harem' before it begins.

He adores you

Right. Obviously. That's why the man who spent all his free time lurking around me two weeks ago has disappeared. Is it jealousy? Anger? Disinterest? If only he spoke to me, then at least I would know. I don't dare to broach his lack of presence with Falx or Tems, and neither man has offered any information.

He is emotionally childlike. Be patient.

I am patient. I am a mother. I am bound to Falx Fyrrin, the Warlord of Rune and arguably the most difficult Tasuri to contend with in the entire continent. Lord Tems Runion - named so, as I discovered, because his House founded Rune and his cousin is the emperor - is becoming a friend, even if he is only sort-of a lover. Every so often he hints at a luxurious childhood that seems impossible, and it sends me wondering if I will ever truly have a place in his heart. I have yet to hunt down General Quintus and demand an explanation. I am the epitome of patience and grace... and... and fortitude.

The goddess laughs. Arthe is a love goddess.

Yes. I am aware, and...

'Arthe is a love goddess.' How odd that my goddess speaks of Arthe as if she is someone else.

My feet slow until I come to a dazed halt. I stand in the portico of the Arthe temple, feeling as though the weight of the building is about to crash down on my head. My fingers are tingling, and I feel as though I am suddenly drenched in snow.

My goddess, my voice, isn't Arthe.

Her voice is silent. Whoever she is. Whatever she is. Now at the moment of my revelation, she is quiet.

Maybe, I'm just insane.

"Priestess? Are you feeling well?" A belator materializes from nowhere. Absent or not, I am still heavily guarded, even in the temple.

The belator's dark skin and eyes remind me so much of the General that my heart skips a beat. Do I miss the grumpy, taciturn man? How bizarre.

"I'm fine," I reply absently. I think I miss all three men. Falx and Tems are so busy, and I won't take them away from their duties in Caere. I want them to fortify my city, to build their army for defense, rather than attack. I won't be the distraction that ruins Caere's chances for peace and freedom from Rune.

I join the other Arthe acolytes as they walk up to the mother temple, where other priests and priestesses are already gathered. Surreptitiously I eye the dark blues, blacks, and maroon robes. Who is the voice in my head? Why, after so many years, can I hear her voice so clearly?