Chapter 3

I S L A

     MY BOOTH IS warm, but goosebumps are still prickling my skin. I clasp my fingers around the hot mug. Parker gazes at my face, studying me. I’m starting to think it wasn’t a coincidence meeting him at the café downtown. I normally prefer Eddy’s place, but I don’t want to cross paths with Rosina. God only knows what I’d do if we ever bump into each other.

     I sip my latte, place it down across from me, and run a finger along the rim of the mug. “Have you been following me?”

     That’s the only logic behind our frequent meetings in public places. And it isn’t a wild guess. Ever since I told him about my hate for Rosina, he’s been acting differently.

     He doesn’t answer my question. He just stares at me like he’s observing a specimen under a microscope. I can’t deny he’s got the looks. He has a long face with a sharp jawline, an aquiline nose, and very thin lips. His appearance has changed over the years. It still baffles me that he hasn’t got any woman in his life. It’s been ten years!

     “I’m sorry you’re going through this.”

     See! I was right. He’s been following me! He thinks I’m languishing from Evans’ betrayal. Well, I’m still in shock. Although it feels like a nightmare, I know I’d have to accept it, but I don’t think I can sit and watch Evans get married to Rosina.

     I lock eyes with Parker. Neither of us speaks. Then he leans in and reaches for my hand, touching my fingers and soothing them.

     “I trust Dr. Flynn. He can help you. He’s got quite an impressive record.”

     I can’t believe he thinks I’ll see a shrink. Pulling my hand from him, I say, “I’m not doing therapy, Parks. That’s the last thing on my mind.”

     “You need it. You’ve been in prison for a very long time and you get released to receive this bombshell.” He stares wistfully at me. “I think you need to speak to somebody. It’ll help clear your mind.”

     If he mentions therapy again, I swear I’m going to pour the latte on him. Why can’t he understand that I’m not sick?

     I gnaw my lips. “Talking about it, did you know?”

     “The wedding?”

     I nod.

     He sighs and reclines on the sofa. “Yeah. Evans told me about Rosina months ago before your release. He said he’s fallen in love with her, and he wants to marry her.”

     God, my heart wants to explode out of my chest. What happened to all those promises? Did he forget about me just like that? Tears sting my eyes, and I blink them back.

     “Why did you keep it from me?”

     He scratches his temple. “It wasn’t my secret to tell. You and Evans are my best friends, but I have no right to meddle in your affairs. It was his to tell. I didn’t want to intrude.”

     Although I hate the sound of him trying to sit on the fence, I know he’s right. It wasn’t his secret to tell. My head throbs from thinking about it. We fall silent, and then he says minutes later, “What are you going to do with your share of the company? I must say Evans was fair giving you half of it.”

     Fair, I scoff. It’s the least he can do after he betrayed me when everything he possessed and the man he is today was a result of my enormous contribution. Evans and I started our specialty food business years ago. We opened our first store right here in Amarillo where we met. Then as the business began to grow, we hired people and opened other branches. After the accident, everything changed. When I took the blame and found myself in prison for involuntary manslaughter, I thought it was for the good of us. At least the cops bought our story. I believed in Evans then. He had a lot to offer for both our future and our business.

     He constantly paid me visits in prison, then it dwindled to three days a week till he couldn’t come in person. He sent letters instead, and I would sit on my hard mattress in my cell crying silently while reading and reminiscing. I understood he was preoccupied with the business. He called often on the phone too, and we’d talk for hours, mostly about us. He’d tell me how much he had missed me and how he couldn’t wait for us to be together again. Sometimes, I cried over the phone, telling him I had missed him too and that I couldn’t wait to be with him. Now that I’m out, he doesn’t want anything to do with me. He’s found a new lover. What a jerk!

     I glance up at Parker, the rage that’s boiling inside of me threatening to unleash. Every second, I think of how I’m going to exact my revenge. Evans is going to regret the day he met me. I’ll make sure of it.

     As though Parker is reading my mind, he says, “No good is going to come out of whatever you’re planning to do. At worst, it’s going to land you in another long-term prison sentence, and I know that’s not what you want.”

     I snicker, “You’ve got no idea what I want.”

     He looks into my eyes, penetrating them. “Despite the acrimony, I do know you still love Evans and you don’t want to hurt him.”

     I quickly break eye contact. “I’m sorry you can’t say that about Rosina.” I smirk. “I won’t hurt Evans physically. I’ve got something sinister in mind.”

     My smirk changes to a devilish grin. Parker just looks at me. I’m sure he’s thinking I’m a monster, but who cares what he thinks? He didn’t get his heart broken, so he has no idea. Every human reacts to situations differently. While others will simply let it all pass and forget about it, I won’t. I can’t. There will not be a single moment that I’ll live in peace if I don’t exact my revenge.

     “You’ve got your freedom back. Plus, Evans gave you half of what he owns. I would be far away from Amarillo, getting a fresh start if I were you.”

     I know what he’s getting at. He’s trying to convince me that revenge is futile, and it will only break my heart again. His solution is that I wholeheartedly accept what Evans has given me out of his generosity and leave my hometown in the name of a fresh start. I’d have poured the latte on his luxury suit if I weren’t in a good mood today.

     “Thanks, but I won’t do that.”

     “So you’re still not accepting your share of the company?”

     I was indecisive before. When I found out about Evans and Rosina, I was so devastated that I rejected my share of his property, but now it has changed. With the diabolic things I plan to do to the two of them, I will need money. Lots of money.

     “I will sell my share. I don’t want anything to do with Evans.”

     “I understand.”

     My face grim, I say, “Trust me, you don’t.”

     I know he’s trying to help, but I don’t need his help or his advice. He’s wasting his time. Truly. I’ll not follow his advice to leave the city or see a therapist.

     He reaches into his breast pocket and pulls out a card, sliding it across the table to my side. I look at him, then at the card. Printed on it are the name, phone number, and work address of a therapist. He’s still on this.

     He taps on the card. “In case you change your mind, Dr. Flynn is an hour’s drive away.”

     He takes out a hundred-dollar note and places it under the saucer. I look at him as he puts on his sunglasses and nears my sofa.

     “I’ve got a meeting. I’ll see you later.”

     I nod.

     He crouches over me and plants a kiss on my cheek, whispering into my ear, “Think about everything I’ve told you. It’s for the best.”

     I grip his brawny arm just as he’s about to leave and pull him closer to my side. “Have you been following me?”

     A smirk lingers on his face. “No.” He slides out of my grip. “Don’t do anything stupid.” Then he pats my head and walks away. He’s gone by the time I want to hurl insults at him.

     Picking up the card, I look at the name of the therapist. Martin Flynn. I will never see a shrink. This is going to end badly. Very badly.