Chapter 5

I S L A

     FIVE MINUTES LATER, I find myself in the same car that brought me from prison. Seated by my side is Mr. Greyson busily steering the wheel and navigating the city using directions from the GPS. I see half of my reflection in the rearview mirror. My eyes are red and heavy with unshed tears. I still can’t believe Evans is getting married. It explains why he stopped visiting me. He’s found himself a new woman, a younger woman, and is no longer interested in someone like me.

     My heart wants to stop beating. I wonder why it’s taking so long for it to stop. This feels surreal, but I tell myself I’m not having a nightmare. It’s been only ten years, and Evans has already lost interest. Okay, I must admit ten years is a very long time for a man to wait for a woman. But what was I thinking? That because I went to prison for a crime he committed, it meant he owed me something?

     God, I’ve made a fool out of myself. Mom was right. Too much love sealed my fate. Snapping myself from my thoughts, I tell Mr. Greyson to turn off the AC. Then I roll the window and stare out. Right now, I need a little distraction, or else my head is going to explode.

     The surrounding town hasn’t changed much, although a little renovation has taken place here. There are now newer buildings nestled between buildings I know like the back of my hand. Brett’s Café hasn’t changed—just that it looks bigger now. The old barbecue shop sits right there, and the bar I used to drink from is also there. I wonder if Murphy, the bartender who knows exactly how I want my drink still works in the bar or has quit. That’s when it occurs to me; where are we even going?

     I cast Mr. Greyson a look. “Where are we heading to?”

     “Your house.”

     “My house? I don’t have a house in these parts.”

      He peers at me. “Evans bought you one. I’m surprised he didn’t tell you. It’s close to your former house in Puckett. He sold it and bought you a bigger one. You have access to two cars, a Toyota and a Benz.”

      I’m sure he’d have told me about it if I hadn’t left abruptly. It’s the least he can do. A beautiful house even as big as the ocean and two flashy cars wouldn’t make up for what he’s done to me. I need Evans, not a building and cars. Although all of this feels like a nightmare, I know I have to accept I’ve lost him and he isn’t coming back. It’s all because of Rosina. I’m going to find that woman. She can’t imagine the things I’ll do to her.

     “Did you know about her?”

     He avoids eye contact and says, his dark brows puckering, “Who?”

     “Don’t act as though you don’t know. You’re his lawyer. He tells you most of his things.”

     He doesn’t look at me as he changes a lane.

     “I need to know, Mr. Greyson!” I yell, looking at him. He’s aging gracefully. Mr. Greyson has been our lawyer ever since we started our little business. He’s been a confidant too, to both Evans and me. I’m sure he knew about this or had the slightest clue.

     He looks at me now with a rueful smile. He’s commiserating with me, which means he knew. “I met her once. A month ago before your release. That’s when he told me.”

     I stare into his icy blue eyes. “And you didn’t tell me earlier. Why?”

     I can’t stop thinking about how Evans could betray me like this. Perhaps, I had too much faith in him. I can’t believe I expected him to marry me once I was out. Logically, I feel he owes me something, but the truth is, he doesn’t. I shouldn’t have been so feeble-minded. I was so happy to get out of prison, but now I want to go back there and lie on my bed.

     “I had no right to tell you. I couldn’t tell you that.”

     I heave a sigh. I know he’s right. He couldn’t have possibly told me that. I want someone to take out my anger on, but I can’t find anybody.

     “Is she pretty?” The words slip out of my mouth. I don’t know why I’m asking this when I’ve already seen a portrait of her in Evans’ mansion.

     He doesn’t answer. He glances at me and looks away, clearly telling me that I don’t want to know and I shouldn’t go down that path.

     “I’m sorry. I don’t know what you’re feeling, but I do know you’re in shock. I was shocked myself when Evans told me about it.”

     I gnaw my lips, my eyes moving along with the passing landscapes. Neither of us speak for the next couple of minutes. A short while later, he pulls into a driveway leading to a brick house that can contain an entire family of five. I stare at the house with a porch, a wide garden, and a well-groomed lawn. This is going to be my permanent home without Evans. How can I live in such a big house?

     I unfasten the seat belt and look at Mr. Greyson. “Thank you for bringing me here.”

     I turn to the door and he takes my hand. “I’m truly sorry Evans is getting married to another woman. If you need anything, don’t hesitate to call me.”

     I smile meekly at him. “All right.”

     “The keys are under the mat. The cars are in the garage. Later, I will bring you some of your old things.”

     I nod and jump out of the car, walking a distance to my new house where I’ll be plotting against Rosina Scott. She’s got no idea what I’m capable of.