Chapter 18

I S L A

Yesterday 3: 38 pm

Hello, Parker.
I want us to meet and talk
about it.

All right, sure. I still don’t think
you should sell your share. You
worked so hard for it.

I can’t stand Evans.
And there’s no one better
to sell my share to than you.

Lol, now I’m flattered.
I will text you the venue.
Dress nicely.

     I LOOK AT my phone screen and frown. I don’t know why Parker told me to dress nicely. I’m just meeting him to talk about the property I’m selling to him, so why should I dress nicely? And what did he mean by nicely? Do I look dumb in my usual polo shirt and jeans? I hope not. I sense that he’s messing around with me in the name of cheering me up.

     Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I apply the lip gloss, press my lips against each other, and rub them uniformly. I put the lip gloss on the vanity and backstep a distance. I look too fancy in the cocktail dress and with the makeup I’m wearing. It’s not heavy and could easily be overlooked, but I still hate the way I look. Something tells me to rip the dress and jump into jeans and a polo shirt, but I will run out of time changing outfits. I will just stick to this.

     I pick up my purse and walk to the door. Before I touch the knob, it opens and I bump into Uncle Sam.

     “Hey,” I say, “I thought you’d already gone to bed.”

     He gives me a once-over. “Wow, Isla! You look gorgeous.” He glances at my face. “Where are you going?”

     I blush. I won’t take it as a compliment. If it was any other man, I would have insulted him for telling me I look gorgeous, but he is Uncle Sam and not a nobody.

     Stifling a frown, I say, “Thanks. I’m meeting Parker. Remember him?”

     He’d met Parker some years back during Evans’ thirty-second birthday, and I hope he still has a picture of him in his head. I have no time to jog his memory.

     “Yeah. I remember Parker. It’s been a while since I saw him. I thought he traveled.”

     “No, he hasn’t. He’s around.”

     He peers at me with a ridiculous smile. “Are you two—”

     “No, Unc Sam!” I shout. “Parker and I are just friends. That’s all.”

     “All right, dear. I thought you were—”

     “We aren’t.” I check my wristwatch. “And I have to go.”

     “Okay. Enjoy your evening and take care of yourself.”

     He makes it sound like I’m going to have fun, but I don’t blame him. With my fancy outfit, anyone would say that.

     I lean forward and plant a kiss on his cheek. “Okay. See you later. Don’t wait for me. I will be late.”

     Walking past him, I add, “Don’t open the door for anyone.”