Chapter 1- DENISE

"All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else."

Denise

...

"All those arguments, all those nights crying, all those apologies now seemed like a waste of time. All those times you made me feel like I was crazy. No matter how accurate my gut feelings were, you'd deny everything. But it feels good knowing that I was right. I wasn't crazy when I noticed the signs. I wasn't overreacting. As much as I wish I didn't know the truth. As much as it hurts, it's good to know that I wasn't reading too much into things." I can't believe I really agreed to this I thought to myself, referring to the fact that the cops have me talking to a counselor to check my mental health after one of Raymond's co-workers had filed against him as a missing person.

"Okay now pause, I want to know what your heart is feeling, own your pain Denise, embrace it. Read me what you wrote about the pain you've been feeling" Dr. Shawn said looking at me intensely hoping that I would make eye contact with him, with my eyes locked on the journal I flipped the pages and kept on reading as my mind drifted to the past.

"Why does it feel like my heart is in a never ending trance of being ripped open with no anesthesia? I want it to stop. I want the pain to stop. I've never been one to have regrets, but sometimes I wonder what if...What if I had never met you? What if I had never fallen in love with you? I want you in my life, but what if? Maybe one day I'll be able to hear your name without feeling like someone is pouring acid on my open flesh. Maybe one day I'll be able to say your name without reminiscing of the pain you caused. I'll never understand why you did it, but maybe you were right. Maybe you were right that it's nothing deeper than the simple fact that we're only humans."

"Denise...Denise love are you listening to me?" Hearing my name brought me back to reality. Sitting in a small four wall white room trying to distract myself "Yes...?" I answered calmly.

"Are you ready to tell the officers what happened now?"

"I think we're done for today, when can I leave?" I asked

"As soon as you can explain what happened to Raymond you're free to leave, I'm a bit worried about your mental health seeing as..."

Listening to him talk about Raymond I almost busted out laughing at the irony of this whole situation, but I held it in knowing that it might be just what they needed to officially diagnose me as a lunatic.

"I already told you I don't know where Raymond is. I've been here almost everyday this month and last I checked, I'm not under arrest. So if you'll excuse me, I do have a lot of work to catch up on." I said getting up and packing my stuff.

"Ma'am I would advise you not to do that.."

"And why is that?"

"Well because.."

"Look, am I under arrest?"

"No but.."
"Okay, do you have a warrant to have me here?"

"No but please..."

"Great, it was nice talking to you Shawn." I said walking out with zero fucks given at his facial expression.

"Ms. Belizair you will regret this if you refuse to cooperate with us!" I heard him yell but paid no heed to his threat.