Chapter 13

Chapter 13

...

Rayna

It's been two days of me calling and calling Denise and still no response and now I was outside her door banging like a lunatic because the bitch had the nerve to change the locks without even letting me know.

"Open up the fucking door Denise or I will..."

" You will what?" The door swung open and there she was in all her glory standing in front of me with a yogurt in hand.

"I've been calling you for two days straight!" I said barging inside.

"Funny, that's exactly how long I've been ignoring you for." She replied, closing the door behind me as she calmly walked and sat in front of the TV.

"Denise what the fuck." I followed after her.

"What did I do to you?" She asked as she continued eating the yogurt. I wanted to yell and scream until I figured out why she couldn't understand that I cared about her, or why she couldn't see why I was worried.

"What's wrong Rayray?" She asked with a smile tugging at her lips. And then it hit me. She was up to something.

"Denise..."
"Yes?"

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Nothing, but I am confused as to why you're here yelling in my house about me not responding to your calls as If you don't have a bitch. Does she know you're here right now?" She asked, smiling.

"For your information... I don't have a bitch." I said sitting down next to her.

"Oh...Well that was short lived... So why are you here?"

"What do you mean why am I here? Denise, you're pregnant."

"Yeah it's kinda hard not to notice." She replied looking down at her belly.

"Okay so this is a very fragile time, anything could've happened so..."

"So let me get this straight. The last time I saw you, you made it very clear where we stood, and then you just left. I haven't heard from you for days and now you wanna come banging at my door like it would've made a difference if something was actually wrong with me." I knew she was right, and I didn't know how to explain it to her that I spent these past days doing my best not to want more from her than I knew she couldn't give. I avoided eye contact with her as my words failed me.

"Look you have every right to be upset okay and I .." As I struggled to find the right words, my gaze faltered, unable to meet hers, for fear of revealing my raw vulnerability I struggled to keep in check when around her.

"No Rayna. Don't. I don't have the energy to deal with your apologies. You ran. You left. That's what you do, you've done it before, and I don't know why I keep expecting something different from you. I ignored you because I want to be prepared for you to not be around when this baby comes. I can't rely on you and your inconsistencies regarding your situationships, so once again...why are you here?" My heart dropped to my stomach at her words and tone of voice.

"Wait no Denise. Please. You're my best friend okay and yeah things are complicated now but... I'm not leaving your side again..." She looked at me and started laughing. What started off as a small chuckle turned into a full belly laugh, and I knew she wasn't taking what I was saying seriously. Our entire exchange was crackling with tension. My silent words heavy with unresolved emotions hung in the air. After she was done laughing, our eyes locked. I tried looking away so I wouldn't lay bare the depths of my longings, but he noticed and held my chin in place. As her pupils dilated, I saw a kaleidoscope of emotions - warmth, affection, and a hint of vulnerability that spoke volumes without a word uttered. Time stood still as we drank in each other's presence. She sighed softly. The unspoken language of our hearts weaving a tapestry of understanding and acceptance. I slowly leaned in, and she happily met me halfway as our lips found their familiar path to each other.

"Baby wait...what does this mean?" She whispered after a few minutes of us making out, her voice laced with anticipation and curiosity. With a tender touch, I rested my forehead against hers, shutting out the world as I closed my eyes, searching for the words to convey the depth of my feelings. I wanted her, more than I could ever explain to her, yet intertwined with that was an overwhelming sense of fear, gripping my heart with icy fingers.

"Denise.." I started "The last time we tried to do this, It was a mess. I hurt you. And this situation with Raymond..."

"I know, this is probably not the ideal time to jump into anything serious. My therapist would be highly disappointed in me." She chuckled, her eyes flickering with amusement as they drifted towards her pregnant belly. Without hesitation, I reached out, gently covering her hand with mine. "I always thought I'd get pregnant before you." I teased, trying to lighten the mood.

"Well yeah because you're a whore." She equipped back, a mischievous glint in her eye. Our laughter erupted, filling the air with a sense of freedom. I felt a sense of relief wash over me, grateful to have my bestfriend back.