Without a Backward Glance

"Speak of the devil," Eddie chuckled.

Jackie snatched the phone and unlocked the door for Alexander remotely. They heard the door open.

"Good afternoon," he called from the hall.

Jackie simply couldn't understand why he was behaving so irregularly! He'd got his own code for the digital lock; and announcing himself wasn't his habit either.

"We're in the kitchen," she shouted back.

Judging by the sounds, he went to the loo and then the bathroom. The whole time Eddie sat silently, her eyes raised to the ceiling in an exaggerated manner, clearly meant to show that she was listening to the noises. Jackie's cheeks were slowly heating up.

"Good day," Alexander said calmly from the threshold of the kitchen, his gaze on Jackie.

"Good day," Eddie answered.

"Hi," Jackie squeaked.

"I came earlier as discussed," he said and walked up to the stove. He tapped his finger to the kettle, and then lifted it and shook it gently. "I'll start another one."

"A cupcake?" Eddie asked cheekily and made an inviting gesture above the treats.

He glanced at the box over his shoulder.

"I'll eat first," he said, seemingly addressing the sink.

"Would you like some kimchi fried rice too?" Jackie asked Eddie in an unnaturally jolly voice. "I'm sure Alexander will be happy to warm up some for you as well."

Eddie snorted. "You don't need to smooth out his rudeness," she dismissed. "Remember, I've got a neurodivergent child."

It was as if there was an unspoken 'too' at the end of that sentence. Alexander's shoulders rose, tense. Jackie glared at Eddie, suppressing an urge to tell the woman off for her condescending tone - but Jackie defending him would also count as 'mothering,' innit?

"That wasn't my ASD." Alexander turned and gave Eddie a direct look. "I'm being rude on purpose."

Eddie scoffed but said nothing, clearly lost for words. Alexander cocked his head on one side; and judging by the jut of his jaw, it wasn't an autistic head-tilt.

"I've already dealt with your husband today, Mrs. Bassey." The derisive edge in his voice was utterly scathing. "He told me that you were coming here." He smirked darkly. "After he tried to 'have a talk with me.' The two of you need to grow up."

Eddie's face was pale now, and Jackie saw the baker's long-fingered, strong hands twitch on the tabletop.

"He falls apart at the first sight of a conflict. You're desperately trying to control his every step." Alexander's words fell like slap after slap. "Leave us out of your domestics."

He then turned back and continued filling the kettle. Jackie sat, staring at his back, not at all sure how to react. On one hand, that was a terribly abrasive thing to say; but Jackie couldn't help but envy how he didn't pull his punches and, especially, how firmly he could set boundaries. 'Us' didn't escape Jackie's attention either.

No one was saying anything; and then the baker rose sharply, threw a quick goodbye to Jackie, and walked out.

Jackie counted three breaths and rose.

"Leave her," Alexander said. He opened the fridge and took out the container with fried rice. "She needs to learn."

He continued grumbling under his breath, something that sounded like 'bloody children' and 'rubbish.'