Gathering Forces

1 out of 2 <3

Hope you enjoy!

K. xx

***

"Uh-huh," Jackie swallowed the sweet fruit. "I can talk now."

He stayed frozen and silent for a few seconds; she assumed he was doing an emotional self-check. He, then, nodded and gave her an expectant look. Jackie emitted a shaky laugh.

"Oh it's this sort of a talk, innit?" she said and sat down on her usual spot.

She knew now that it was easier for him to have a complicated conversation if she wasn't distracted by something else, or moving around.

"I haven't made my decision yet," he started levelly. "I'm sorry. I know I'm holding you back. It says everywhere that your age is the most important factor."

He sighed and leaned his back against the counter, his gaze on his feet.

"If you're OK with it, I'd like to go to the clinic with you," he added. "Do their tests. See what their prognosis is. I looked at their site; they've got a genetics specialist." He inhaled and met her eyes. "And if they give us the green light, I'd like to be the biological father of your child."

She tried to take a wide grin under control - but failed.

"I've looked into it," he continued. "If there's a visual resemblance between us, it could strengthen our bond emotionally. I would like to give it the best chance to succeed."

"You've researched bonding with our hypothetical child emotionally," Jackie repeated slowly - and then dashed forward and pressed into him.

"Jackie."

"Yes, yes, I know. You need me to answer, but first let me snuggle and appreciate you, alright?" she said and rubbed her temple to his chest.

He remained silent; and Jackie sighed contentedly, squeezed him one last time, and stepped back.

"I love it that you're so meticulous about it," she said and smiled at him. "And yes, we should definitely go to the clinic together. And just so you know, I don't have a single doubt in your ability to form an excellent relationship with our hypothetical offspring, biological or not," she added with a laugh. "Also, even if they are biologically yours, they could still look nothing like you. It's not a sure thing. Still might get a ginger."

"That's fine," he answered, lifted his hand, and stroked her hair. "I fancy it."

"I thought the whole resemblance thing is supposed to deter us from eating them," Jackie joked and leaned into his palm. "Or shagging them."

"It's theorised to correlate with the so-called Westermarck effect." He nodded. "Also known as reverse sexual imprinting. To deter incest."

Jackie scrunched her nose in disgust, shook her head, and went back to making coffee. Alexander busied himself with her porridge.

"I might lark about it, darling," she commented, taking a sip of her brew, "but I simply adore the fact that you accumulate enough knowledge for a couple of degrees on anything you're interested in."

He smirked and joined her at the table.

***

He was doing the washing up, and Jackie had just started on a new romance novel that she'd bought on a whim, seduced by a tasteful display in the local bookshop called Hey Jude the Obscure. It was probably some sort of a literary allusion, but Jackie wasn't educated enough to recognise it.