Something Tookish

"Mr. Kogan, release your wife's arm," Jackie said firmly.

The man whipped his head and glared at her. His next move would determine whether his behaviour was to be considered an impulsive act, or there was a violent tendency. Either way, 'a potentially hostile home environment' needed to be considered in Al Kogan's case.

The man let go of the blonde and took a step back. Jackie folded her hands on her desk.

"Shall we continue our discussion, or would you like to schedule another meeting?" she asked.

The Kogans sat back down, without looking at each other.

"We don't want to involve other parents," the husband gritted. "You will only fix our problem, yes?"

"That is my job, Mr. Kogan," Jackie answered. "To secure and to improve the standards of education in the school; among other things, working closely with the pupils' families. So, let's circle back. What is your concern when it comes to Al's experience at school?"

***

After the Kogans left, Jackie dropped her head back on the neck support of her orthopaedic chair, the courtesy of the office's previous inhabitant. The Kogans ended up presenting only a limited challenge; and now, the usual protocol for social transition for their child had been initiated. She reminded herself to be grateful for how easy she had it in Fleckney. For once, peer and community pressure were working in favour of her queer pupils - and chances of her getting stabbed by a homophobic family member for the second time were as close to zero as she had ever had on any of her jobs. Jackie rubbed her side, over the scar; and closed her eyes.

Her phone beeped; and she read a text from Bernie, inviting Jackie for lunch. The dentist's office was in the same building as Fleckney's best sandwich shop; plus Jackie could use a distraction.

She fixed her makeup before taking a cab to Fleckney Woulds; but still, Bernie couldn't hold back a gasp.

"Holy guacamole, lady, what the hell?" the dentist hollered, rushing to Jackie.

"Hi." Jackie laughed awkwardly. "Yeah, that. It's the stupidest thing ever."

Bernie leaned and studied Jackie's face. "Are you OK?"

"Yeah, yeah, I am. Let's order, and I'll tell you everything."

'Everything' would, obviously, only include a heavily censored version of the cat-and-elbow incident.

***

"So, Stephen Bassey, heh?" Bernie drew out, playing with a straw in her drink. "I've heard rumours, obviously."

"That was a long time ago. We're just acquaintances now," Jackie said and bit into her smoked chicken with soy-cured parmesan, pickled cucumber, and cress sarnie.

"Still, I think it's pretty cool that you can be amicable with your exes. It always ends with a giant argy-bargy and drama for me. What about your current fellow then? How did he take it?"

Jackie's jaws stopped.

"You look like a cartoon character right now." Bernie snorted. "Did I blow your mind, love? It's not rocket science, Josie. Last time we went shopping, you bought foxy knickers and camisoles. He's into black lace, innit? It is a 'he,' I assume. Though, I have to say I'm a lingerie person myself."

"It is a 'he,'" Jackie answered slowly. "It's–" She inhaled and took the plunge. "Alexander Fergusson."

"The ice cream bloke?! Wow!" It was Bernie's turn to stare at Jackie aghast. "Wait, wasn't he the one in the garden that night?"