Epilogue

Jackie backed into the entrance door, nudging the door open with her bottom, shaking the umbrella.

"I'm home!" she shouted and turned around.

The drawing room looked like a battlefield: wooden blocks, toy animals, random colourful bits and bobs were scattered on the carpet.

"Hello?" Jackie tried again, toeing off her shoes. "Anyone home?"

No response followed, the cottage was quiet - and then Tartufo showed up from around the corner, his fluffy tail held upright like a chimney of a puffer train.

"Evening," Jackie greeted the feline. "Where's everyone?"

The cat 'brooped' and started rubbing his large head to Jackie's shin. She absent-mindedly bent down and scratched him behind his silky ear.

Jackie peeked into the kitchen and saw that the dishwasher was in the middle of a cycle, and several bowls and cups were drying on the rack next to the sink; which meant the mid-day meal and snack had already taken place. It seemed the crew were ahead of schedule today. She assumed that the rain was to blame. Fleckney's Summer deluges could keep even the toughest and outdoorsiest inside.

There was a stack of books on the bottom step of the stairs; a trail of more volumes leading to the first floor. Apparently, the circumstances had grown dire enough for heavy hitters. Jackie walked up, carefully stepping over several wooden farm animals; a stuffed mouse that probably - but not certainly - belonged to Tartufo; a soft bright yellow sock; and a small bamboo container, which normally contained rice crackers, but currently housed a rubber duck.

She noticed the second yellow sock on the railing on the landing. The door to the bedroom was open a crack; and she peeked.

The rightful owner of the socks, the books, the farm animals, and Jackie's heart; Mr. Lars Burns lay on her bed, on his side, his large for a two-year-old hand loosely fisted, next to his cheek, his bright orange curls scattered on the pillow. His father, curled protectively around the boy, seemed to be sleeping as well - and then his eyes flew open and met Jackie's. She gave him a small wave and then mimed drinking tea. He blinked slowly, confirming that the message had been received. Jackie stealed out of the room and headed downstairs.

The kettle hadn't boiled yet when Alexander stepped into the kitchen, carrying the basket designated for the ground floor toys, and the baby monitor.

"Hi," Jackie greeted him, throwing an adoring look at his mussed dark curls and grouchy expression.

He hummed and then leaned and placed an unhurried savouring kiss on her lips. The familiar excited shiver trickled down her back.

"We didn't pick up the toys," he muttered, straightening up. "I was installing a new lock on the baby gate. He'd sussed out the previous one. Again," he added with a sigh.

"Did you let him try the drill?" Jackie asked cheekily.

"No," Alexander answered flatly. "But he helped with marking the holes."

"I've noticed the purple crayon lines," Jackie said, snickering.

Alexander took out two mugs from the cupboard.

"Are you taking him to the day centre tomorrow?" Jackie asked.

"Yes." The kettle clicked, turning off; and Alexander poured their cuppas. "And we'll be going to the nature centre on Friday. Anna and Ludo rescheduled."

"Oh, that's exciting." Jackie thanked him and took her mug. "So, he's feeling better, then? No more sniffles?"

"Anna says she thinks he was faking," Alexander said, sitting down. "To get out of physical activities."

"I don't think toddlers can fake a cold," Jackie said with a small laugh.

"Lars probably could," Alexander deadpanned, and Jackie snorted into her tea.

"Yeah, at this stage nothing could surprise us anymore."

They drank in silence for a few minutes; and then Jackie noticed the glances he was throwing at the cut of her white button-up. Jackie hid a smile behind the rim of her cup.

"Your turn," he said. "How was your day?"

"Surprisingly good." Jackie shrugged. "I honestly wasn't sure if I was ready. And they said they'd still be OK with the same number of days, but I was perfectly fine. I missed both of you terribly, but it felt brilliant to be back at work."

"Good."

"Thank you for pushing me," Jackie said, and then quickly corrected herself, "For encouraging me." She stretched and stroked the back of his hand. "Have I told you recently how amazing you are?"

He stopped drinking, his eyes darkening.

"Are you flirting with me?" he asked, and his left eyebrow jumped up.

"Well, I'm definitely not wearing your favourite shirt for the school staff, am I?"

Alexander slowly lowered his cup; and Jackie licked her bottom lip.

"We've got about–" Alexander threw a quick look at the clock on the microwave. "Forty minutes. If nothing goes wrong."

"How about we assume that we might be interrupted at any moment?" Jackie murmured and popped her top button open.

Alexander stretched his long arm across the kitchen and put his mug onto the counter. The rest of dishes followed so quickly that the table was ready for them before she got to the third button.

When he wedged between her legs and started kissing her neck, Jackie ran her palms over his sides and purred, "Oh this brings back memories."

"Lars?" he asked and caught her ear between his teeth.

"No," Jackie panted out. "The first– the first morning you spent here. After we– the first time–"

Her thoughts jumbled; and she relaxed, into his palms supporting her under her shoulder blades, fully trusting him to lower her safely.

He bunched up her skirt, and an approving rumble purled in his throat. The slight discomfort of wearing the suspender belt for a couple of hours under her prim and proper midi skirt was definitely showing itself worth it. He opened the last button and pushed the sides of her shirt apart, trailing hot kisses and bites on her stomach and her sternum now. Jackie wrapped her legs around him and insistently squeezed him.

"He won't wake up," Alexander murmured and licked along the edge of her black bra.

"That's grand, but it's not that." Jackie picked up the hem of his tee, and he shimmied out of it. "I'm in anticipation, darling."

Alexander smirked, and his scorching palms slid over the tops of the stockings, his thumbs stroking the lace.

"There's always later," he reminded her, and the tips of his fingers danced on the waist of her knickers. "And tomorrow morning."

"And the day after tomorrow," Jackie whispered.

Alexander nodded and leaned to catch her lips in a deep kiss.