14. The last one

"It filled me with joy that you took an interest in me, in my thoughts, or what I had to say. We started to become friends again, but I wanted to change a few things, not wanting to repeat them so I wouldn't lose you. It took years before we became more than friends... I couldn't believe it."

Jungkook's heart was beating miles a minute. He was jealous of himself from the past, but how many versions of him were there? Jimin's face was marred with sorrow, completely overcome with melancholy that was seeping into the air through his words. He didn't want to express his jealousy.

How could all this be possible?

Was his purpose in life to be with Jimin in each life? 

Now that he was aware of who Jimin was in love with, possessiveness flared in his heart so strongly that he wanted to be the best version of himself that ever existed for Jimin. He wanted to be the one Jimin loved the most. He wanted to return the love with the intensity of all of his past lives combined. He wanted Jimin to forget about his previous versions. 

"I can stop," Jimin touched the younger's cheek, his fingers gently caressing the warm skin. 

"It's just hard for me to believe I'm worthy of being loved by you," Jungkook mumbled. 

"Except that you are."

"Did you tell any of them about this?" Jungkook asked sadly. 

Jimin shook his head and Jungkook almost burst out crying with joy, feeling special after the older told him about something he had never done before. If he could talk to himself from his past lives, he would gloat about what he got from Jimin which they didn't. But more than that, he felt disturbed because of Jimin's suffering. "They left you. All of them. Didn't they?"

Jimin's eyes lowered as he nodded. "Yes."

"How many times?" Jungkook's voice quivered with emotions.

"It doesn't matter, darling. You came back to me," placing a gentle kiss on Jungkook's cheek, Jimin pulled him closer. "When I was at my lowest, you showed up on my doorstep every single time. You loved me in every life, the same way I love you." Jimin added gently. "You can now fathom why I am obsessed with you deeply. It's my love and yearning added together."

Jungkook blinked softly. The heinous facade of jealousy pushed its head inside his heart. He wanted to be the first one that Jimin fell in love with, but that ship had sailed. Was there a way he could be Jimin's last? Then he suddenly remembered one thing. "You said that it will not be my last life if things don't go as I planned. Yes?"

"Yes."

"What are you planning?" Jungkook's desperation reached Jimin.

"All in good time, sweetheart."

"No. I want to be your last. I have to be your last. Please make it stop. I have to be the one for you. You are surreal, Jimin. There has to be something that you can do-"

Jimin bowed his face close to Jungkook's until their noses were touching. "Will you stay with me?" He asked seriously. "Share my life, no matter what may come? Be my partner forever?"

"I will," Jungkook said without hesitation and without thinking, grabbing onto Jimin's sleeves with urgency. "I will do anything, Jimin."

The older reached his arms around Jungkook and pulled him close against his warm body. "Thank you," he whispered sincerely. "Thank you." He kissed his forehead.

"How are you going to do it?"

"Do you know... You were never afraid of me in any life," Jimin smiled, unable to believe it himself as he recalled the ancient days. "You were always rather attuned to me in a way I couldn't believe."