Six

Junior year. You'd think I would take a hint because once again, he was in my favorite class. First period English with Mr. Wuetcher. Wuetcher loved me, I always got A's and finished my work early. There was a time where I was working on a novel and he would let me use the school provided laptop to work on it. It was great. 

Stephen was the opposite. He played games on the laptop and Wuetcher would lock him out. He didn't do too well in the class. And, yet for some reason, I started dating him yet again. When Wuetcher found out we were dating, he was surprised. I think he thought I could do better, but he just rolled with it.

Of course, it was spring yet again when this started. Prom was coming up and I was excited to go with my boyfriend. I bought a beautiful black dress and was nearly counting down the days. I felt like I was going to have the perfect prom experience.

Then he got suspended. For having a knife.

The story he has told me is this: He got a really nice bike for Christmas. He was scared of someone trying to steal the bike from him so he bought a knife off some kids at our school. He claims they're the only ones who knew about the knife. Allegedly, one of them told on him and since he of course still had the knife on him, he got suspended. No prom for him. 

I scrambled to find a new date since I had already bought the dress but couldn't find a date. I broke up with Stephen. I never got to wear the dress. It still has the tags on it. It's sitting in a storage unit right now. I used to make jokes I would wear it to his funeral. Maybe I will one day.