Chapter 15: The Buy-In

Ray's Burrow, Wildebeest Digger Colony,

African Continent

Ray's nose led him the last few meters to his home. He'd distinguished the smell of his wife's vegetable soup from the lunch-time miasma — it made his mouth water and his stomach grumble.

The air was thick and warm here. The darkness in the sloping tunnel leading into his burrow struggled against a pair of weak lights strung up at its entrance. The floor evened out into a small antechamber, two pairs of boots lined up against the mud wall. Here a single bulb shone, its wire hidden behind a ridge of earth plaster running to the floor.

Ray took off his boots. He shoved his socks inside them in preparation for his next outing. The sounds of his wife busying herself in the kitchen beckoned him. Placing his boots neatly beside the other two pairs, he walked bare foot into the bright kitchen.

"My darling," Selena said, without turning around.

He slid his hand around her waist and tugged her against him. "How did you know it was me?" he whispered.

"I always know when it's you. Did you miss my cooking?"

"God, yes! I last ate something decent, when was it, Wednesday? Hmm..." He leaned over her shoulder, inhaling the fragrant scent of the soup.

She stirred the pot with one hand, the other reaching up to rub the back of his neck. "You feel tense, my love."

Ray spun her around and their lips met in a kiss. He made sure to leave her breathless.

"I have good news."

Her emerald eyes glittered with curiosity. "You do?"

She let him pull her to the table. He clasped her hands as he spoke and could feel her veins pulsing beneath his fingertips.

"Izaak told me something very interesting."

Her wide eyes flickered between his as he spoke. He paused for dramatic effect.

"Don't keep me in suspense," she warned, her blond eyebrows curving up.

"He said the Leider is looking for some new men for his army." Selena's expression didn't change. "He said Ace has a good chance of being accepted if he signed up."

"Ace?" Selena's face wasn't filled with the excitement he'd hoped for.

"Izaak thinks he'll do well." His grip tightened around her delicate white hands. "He suggested it. With his smarts, Ace can get a high rank. I know it." He was rambling. "Say something. You're just sitting there like a lump."

"Like a lump?" But her voice was distant. A frown appeared on her forehead. "Ace hates everything to do with the military."

"It's good work, my love. Better than working as a scrubber. Pays more. Hell, I would jump at the chance if I was him!"

"He won't do it," she insisted.

Ray's fist slammed down on the tabletop, rattling the cutlery. Selena jumped, tugging her hand free from Ray's and laying it over her chest. They stared at each other for a moment. Ray uncurled his fingers and laid his palms flat against the table.

He took a deep breath and forced the words out. "Ace doesn't have a choice."

Selena's hands fell into her lap as she sat back.

"I can't always be the one providing," Ray went on. "He has to start taking care of his family. My God, Selena, he earns less than I do."

"How much is the buy-in?"

Ray attempted ignorance. "The what?"

"I know how it works, Ray." Her lips twisted. "Or have you forgotten how much time I spent as a medic under Petrus?" Her bright eyes studied him carefully. "How much is the buy-in?"

Ray's reply erupted in bursts as he tried to predict her objections. "One big haul should do it. I'll have to go further than usual... but with Ace coming we'll be able to bring back twice as much. You're always saying we should do more stuff together."

She sat and watched him for a while before responding. "If you can get him to agree then I won't stop you."

"Is he here?" Ray had noticed the extra place setting.

"He said he'd come home for lunch." Selena went to stir the soup.

Ray's stomach growled at the reminder of the food he was sitting in such close proximity to.

"It smells delicious, my love."

Selena dished up for him and put the bowl down on the table. He reached for it, but she slapped at his hand.

"Wash up first. You smell god-awful." 

. . .