Glossary

Since a lot of the words used in this story are either Afrikaans or made-up, I thought a glossary might help :) 

'tastic

Slang: Shortened form of fantastic. Used sarcastically.

Acacia

A tree of warm climates such as southern Africa with long white thorns and clusters of yellow or white flowers.

Amazical

Slang: A mash-up between the words 'amazing' and 'magical'. Similar to 'awesome'.

Antie

Afrikaans: An older female authority figure.

Apep Project

A top-secret government project.

Also, in mythology, Apep is an evil Egyptian god depicted as a snake or serpent, the deification of chaos and darkness.

Auto-bot

A robot designed for general purposes, such as a butler.

Bakkie

Afrikaans: A utility truck, pick-up truck.

Bennu Project

A top-secret SUN project.

Also, in mythology, Bennu is an ancient Egyptian deity linked with the sun, creation, and rebirth.

BERA

Abbreviation: Basic Existence Requirements Act. The BERA was drafted by SUN shortly after the establishment of the first dome. It listed rules and requirements every denizen had to abide by when living inside the domes. It also listed Phoenix's operating instructions, SUN's mission statement, and a short history of the world before Black Sunday.

Bliksemming

Afrikaans: The act of repeatedly and violently punching, striking and/or hitting a person.

BRB

Abbreviation: Be right back.

Bushbaby

A small nocturnal tree-dwelling African primate with very large eyes.

Cerberus

A ring worn on the thumb. Integrates with ocular tech in the user's eyes to operate the weConnect system. Hand gestures can have different functions: sliding thumb across fingertips lowers/raises the volume, tapping on fingertips accesses different menu options, clicking rings together with someone else enables pairing functions which gives the other user temporary control over your weConnect, etc.

Also, in mythology, a multi-headed dog or 'hellhound' with a serpent's tail, a mane of snakes, and lion's claws. He guards the entrance of the underworld to prevent the dead from escaping and the living from entering.

Chattel

A slave.

Chommies

Afrikaans: Friends, pals.

Clustermates

A relationship consisting of more than two people. Clusters usually contain three or four people, although clusters have been known to contain up to eight partners.

CME

Abbreviation: Coronal mass ejection. A CME is a massive burst of solar wind and magnetic fields rising above the solar corona or being released into space. Coronal mass ejections are associated with other forms of solar activity, most notably solar flares.