Chapter 24: Diamond Dust

Somewhere outside the Rooivalk Digger Colony,

African Continent

Jinx glanced over her shoulder at Sol. Her heart had long since stopped hammering in her throat, but tension knotted her shoulder muscles. They'd been walking for over thirty minutes. At their pace, that meant they were about three kilometres from the watchhouse. And each additional step took them further into the empty veld. Further away from the men at the watchhouse. Further away from help.

Sol strode a few meters behind her. She was sure he was watching her walk — the skin between her shoulder blades crawled. The temperature dropped a few degrees as they approached a tiny watering hole, barely more than five meters across. The sound of crickets filled the night air. Jinx shuddered as a cold breeze brushed her cheek.

"Here's fine," Sol said cheerfully.

She spun around. "I said I'm sorry—"

"I'm not interested."

"Sol, I—"

"Get a fire going."

"What?"

"That was an order, Sergeant."

Jinx nodded. Her teeth were on the point of chattering from the brisk night air. She hunted around for branches and kindling, using the flint that Sol chucked at her to start a fire. Rising, she stared at Sol, who'd been watching her without expression.

"So what now?" she asked, flicking her hands at her sides.

"Sit."

The crisp sand shifted under her weight. Sol sat cross-legged beside her, his leg brushing hers. His hand dove into the pale granules, lifting, allowing the particles to run through his fingers.

He remained silent for too long. Tension was going to split her apart like an overripe fruit.

"Sol—"

"I heard you shouting." Sol was intent on the play of sand through his fingers.

"What?"

"The day I found you. I wasn't supposed to be there that day. Not there, anyway. Was coming back from Wildebeest side. Been on a correspondence run."

Jinx lifted her legs to her chest, wrapping her arms around them. She stared at him, cheek pressed to her knee.

"Wasn't due back at camp for another few hours. I took a detour, went up to the ridge," he said. "Always loved the view up there."

The earlier pressure returned, more insistent. She bit down on her lip, both to stop the tears and to stop it trembling. She gripped her own shoulders, holding herself tightly.

"Thought it was a bloody bird or something. Sounded so strange. When I realised what it was, I nearly didn't go up. But then I saw the blood in the sand, right by my feet. Drag marks going up the ridge. Still thought, 'fuck, that's my spot.'"

His hand delved into the sand and remained submerged. He turned his head. Jinx stiffened at the strange light in his eyes. She'd never seen him like this — face softened as he peered into the past.

"When I got up there, they already had you pinned down. Two beside you, one on top of you. One just standing, watching."

Jinx drew in a hitching breath. Her vision blurred as tears forced their way into her eyes. She pressed her face into her knees, her eye sockets throbbing from the pressure.