Chapter 42: 'Tastic to Meet Another Augur

The Canteen, Lambent Laboratories, Cell 3,

Africa Dome

"I must apologise, my dear," Jasper repeated, his brown eyes filling his face.

Peppermint leaned over the basin to splash water on her face and caught sight of her reflection. Her blue-green eyes glowed, their colour enhanced by the deathly-pale hue of her skin. Strands of damp, violet hair clung to her cheeks and neck. She brushed them away with tingling fingertips.

"I'm okay." Her voice wobbled.

"He shouldn't have pushed you so hard." Jasper wrung his hands together. "He just doesn't understand."

She turned to him, catching herself on the basin as the room swung around her.

"I'm okay." Swallowing, she forced a smile. "Really."

The old man didn't seem convinced, but he stepped out the bathroom and waited for her to follow.

"It's like this, the first few times," Jasper said. "Manifestations can take a toll on a person. Remember to eat. Don't skip meals. Nutrition is crucial. Whatever is removed must be replaced."

"Removed?"

Jasper started down the hallway, either not hearing or ignoring her question. As she followed him, her mind returned to the faint line she'd seen tracing the route to the bathroom. It was the first time she'd ever seen something like it.

"Jasper, since the laboratory isn't connected to the dome's network, how come I can still interact with Phoenix?"

Jasper dipped his head. "We have an internal version of the program installed."

"But what happens with all the updates?"

"We get monthly updates."

Peppermint's mouth twisted. Once a month? Phoenix updated itself about twice a week. Maybe that was it — an update had come through while she was here. Now, if she asked for a bathroom, she was shown where one was.

"So when was the last—" Jasper turned off the corridor, his abrupt change of direction silencing her.

She followed him inside a large room.

"This is the canteen. You can come here any time before or after training."

Crimson dining sets filled the room, five to a side, the chairs and tables moulded into a solid mass. The aisle between them led to a pair of large food printers with integrated drink dispensers, the type she'd only seen inside diners.

"I thought you said no one ever came to the lab," she said.

"That's correct."

"But this place is massive."

"It used to be very popular."

"Never heard of it."

Another ancient LED screen was mounted to the wall, streaming the same SUN infogram she'd seen in the examination room on her first day. Was this where all the old technology came to live out the remainder of its life cycle before being recycled? The walls on either side of the tables were comprised solely of glass, looking out onto lush greenery. Peppermint stared at the vegetation, mesmerised.

"Back in the day, anyway," Jasper said as he moved down the aisle.

"Which day?"

"Hmm? Oh, it's just an expression."