Chapter 4: Trouble Afoot

Another day came and went. After the fight with Mimic, everyone was too tired to do much else. They had all just returned to their base and relaxed for the rest of the day. It was unfortunate that part of the town had been destroyed, but at least they had prevented more damage from taking place.

"I wish we had a radio or something that we could listen to the news with here." Yuuki said. "It would be nice to know what normal people are being told about everything."

"That is something we should look into getting." Asami agreed.

"Would we get signal out here though?" Shouji asked.

Asami paused and though about it. "Oh... yeah... we probably wouldn't."

"Maybe we should make friends with some other kids and listen to them talk about the events from their knowledge?" Kiyoshi suggested. "Though... I'm a bit shy... I don't know that I could do that."

"You made friends with us quite fast." Masako pointed out.

"Well, I didn't have a choice. We were all forced to work together." Kiyoshi protested.

"I'm sure you could do it if you tried."

"Maybe I don't want to try..."

"You're the one who suggested it!"

"Alright. Stop fighting." Yuuki interrupted. "I don't really think it will matter in the end if we learn how the other people here see things. Let's just focus on training so we can get stronger. Mimic was tougher than Ursu. We can only imagine what other enemies might be capable of."

"I wonder why the Ghoulish wear masks." Shouji said.

"You saw what the shadows looked like. They probably have terrifying faces too." Asami replied. "I'm kind of glad they wear masks."

"That would make sense. Maybe it's a signal of status or something?" Masako added on. "They both had different masks on."

"Could be."

"So, what should we do today?" Shouji asked.

"I was going to run into town and get some more supplies. Anyone want to come with me?" Yuuki asked.

"I'll go!" Masako volunteered.

"Alright. We'll be back in a bit then guys."

Masako and Yuuki left the base and made their way into the town. There was some unrest among the citizens. They could hear people talking about the events of yesterday everywhere.

"This is probably the most major thing that's happened to this place in recent years." Yuuki commented as they walked. "I feel bad for these people. Their safe town is now an active war zone."

"Yeah... I can't imagine how they feel knowing that they could be next for a disaster of some sort." Masako agreed. "We'll do our best to prevent that but..."

"The Ghoulish aren't easy to find." Yuuki stated.

"We aren't? You must not be looking hard enough then." A teasing voice hummed behind them.

Both girls turned around quickly, searching for who the voice belonged to. A Ghoulish stood nearby, leaning against a building. He dawned another mask. One that almost screamed importance to them.

"Well, that saves us the trouble of finding you." Yuuki spat.

"Oh, I would love to see you try and kill me. It wouldn't end well for you."

"Soulard, stop chatting and get moving." Another Ghoulish appeared.

Masako and Yuuki exchanged looks. This was not good. Two Ghoulish in one place. They were not ready for that type of fighting yet.