12~ THE BIG NEWS

12~THE BIG NEWS

After a while of waiting, everyone finally arrived. The substitute introduced herself as Ms. Cherry; she looked to be in her mid-thirties and wore very bright clothes, with a smile that never faltered.

I started to feel a lot better seeing how nice she looked. She chose a scene from 'Friends' to help us audition, and the way she lit up upon hearing the lines made me instantly realize she was a die-hard 'Friends fan—just like me. I felt confident; I thought I had this in the bag.

She selected the scene where Phoebe tells Mike she changed her name, allowing her to evaluate both boys and girls at the same time.

When it was my turn to deliver the lines, I stepped onto the stage, feeling even more confident as I introduced myself and began reading. I read lines with a boy named Jacob, who was in my biology class.

"...Meet Princess Consuela Banana Hammock..." The line made me smile as I recalled the scene.

After the auditions, I bid farewell to Tia and Aidan and started to head home.

As I arrived home, feeling super drained, I went straight up to my room to rest.

As I started to drift off, I heard the door slam open, startling me out of bed. I looked up and saw Cinth by the door, chuckling away, as I tried to figure out what was going on.

"What?" I groaned as I laid back down on my bed.

"I heard Mom and Dad arguing today," she said, a little worried.

"So...?" She looked at me as if I had said the stupidest thing ever.

"They've been arguing for a while now, and this afternoon, Mom sent me a text saying they had news to tell us and that we should be prepared." My eyes widened as I understood what she was implying.

"Do you think they're getting a divorce?" I said, sitting up on my bed.

"I don't know," she said, looking into the distance. I started to panic internally as we remained in silence for a while.

"Don't worry, I'm sure everything will be fine," she reassured me, probably noticing the worry on my face. I gently nodded as my mind began to wander.

"Hey, how about we both go to Caleb's diner," Hyacinth suggested after a while of silence.

"Okay, but where's Alex?" I asked, just realizing I hadn't seen him since I got home.

"Oh, he's with Mom and Dad," she said as I let out a sigh.

I started to imagine life in a divorced family. Would I be able to cope? Would it make me a bad kid? Would it make me hate my family?

"I'll go get ready," she said as she walked out of my room, shooting me a quick smile.

~~~

"Amy!!" Cinth called for me after about an hour. It took me so long to calm myself down that I completely forgot we were supposed to go out. I quickly got dressed and rushed downstairs to meet Cinth.

"Sorry," I smiled cheekily at her as she shook her head lightly.

The stroll to the diner was not as bad as I thought it would be; Cinth and I discussed how things were going at school and our lives.

"How are things going with Caleb?" I asked as we approached the diner.

"I don't know; sometimes he seems a bit distant because we barely spend time together, you know? I've been so busy planning the future," Cinth sighed with a sad look on her face as we entered the diner.

We went straight to a booth by the window; it was our spot. As Caleb spotted us, he beamed and came straight to our table. Cinth got up to hug him with a big smile on her face, lovebirds, am I right?

"Hi honey, hey munchkin." I stared out the window; I'd made up my mind not to answer to names I wasn't given.

"Amy, Caleb's greeting you," Cinth scolded me, but I wasn't going to budge.

"No, Caleb is greeting someone named 'munchkin,' and as far as I can recall, our parents didn't name my munchkin. My name is Amethyst; you can call me Amy Misty or Thyst." Cinth rolled her eyes at me and focused on the menu.

"Fine, hey Amy, what would you like today?"

"Okay, I'd like a bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a milkshake with a lot of whipped cream, oh, and hash browns."

"Whoa, what's the occasion?" I usually don't eat a lot, but I have a nervous stomach; I eat a lot when I'm nervous or worried.

"She eats a lot when she's nervous," Cinth answered; I'm guessing she knew I wasn't going to answer him.

"What is she nervous about?" He asked, obviously not ready to bring our food anytime soon.

"You know what Caleb, go get our food first, and then you can gossip or catch up, or whatever." Caleb let out a slight chuckle as Cinth shot me the 'you're being rude' look, but I didn't care.

"What my little sister is trying to say is that we'll tell you everything when you're on your break, it's soon anyway." He nodded and walked towards the kitchen.

Caleb brought our food, and since he was already on his break, Cinth was catching him up on what was happening.

"You guys don't need to worry; it'll all be fine," Caleb said, giving Cinth a reassuring smile.

"Thank you," they stared into each other's eyes for a while before I cleared my throat.

"Cinth, I'm gonna take a walk; I'll meet you at home." She nodded at me and continued talking to Caleb.

I left the diner and headed straight for the park near it. I walked around for a while before deciding to settle on a bench. I sat there for a while, a part of me hoping that somebody, anybody, would join me and I'd have someone to talk to, but I sat there, and no one came, so I started to head home.

As I got home, no one was there, so I went upstairs, put on my comfy clothes, went to the kitchen, got some snacks, and sat down to watch TV. After a while, Cinth came back and went straight to her room to rest. I had completely forgotten about the news, but as I heard a car pull into the driveway, my heart started to beat frantically.

My mum walked in, holding Alex in her hand, followed by my dad carrying a huge bag. Mum went up to lay Alex down and also called Cinth.

Cinth sat down beside me as our parents stood before us, their faces filled with sorrow. To say I was worried before is an understatement.

"Before you guys say anything, I just want you to know that divorce is not the way to go. Think about how it will affect your kids," Cinth rambled, looking very worried.

"We're not getting a divorce. That's not the news," my racing heart slowed for a moment until I heard, "Alex is sick, really sick. He has leukemia." I saw a tear drop down her face as my dad gently squeezed her hand.

"The doctors say he's treatable but it's not assured and that..." My mother choked up as my dad placed her on a seat and continued talking. "They said we should have hope and that people have survived it." Cinth started to sob as I looked around the room very confused.

I felt like I was having a nightmare I couldn't just wake up from. I closed my eyes and gently pinched myself, hoping that as I opened my eyes I'd wake up from this nightmare. As I opened my eyes I couldn't help but cry, I quickly got up and went to hug my mum. She gently patted my back trying to comfort me. Cinth came and hugged her too, and we all stayed there in silence.

Author's note:
Hi guys, another late episode, sorry, hope you liked this one.

Who guessed the big news, if you did write it in the comments if you thought it was something else also put it there. Thanks for reading.

Don't forget to vote for the chapter.
Byee, till the next episode