14~ INCOGNITO LOOK

14~ INCOGNITO LOOK

I woke up with a part of me hoping to see Alex, with a big smile on his face, looking down at me. As I opened my eyes, I felt my heart drop, and a wave of guilt washed over me.

Quickly, I got out of bed and went straight to his room. As I opened the door, I didn't see him there, and my heart started beating faster than two sports cars in a street race.

"Oh no, oh no, oh no," I thought to myself as I raced down the stairs. I saw Cinth sitting there having breakfast, as she typed away on her phone.

"Where are they?" I said, trying to sound calm but failing as tears threatened to spill over.

"They had an early morning appointment, why are you so worried?" Cinth said, looking up from her phone, noticing my distress. I let out a sigh of relief as I turned away to subtly wipe the tear that had managed to escape.

"I don't know, it's nothing... nothing," I said, trying to convince myself more than her.

"Sit down, have breakfast, and tell me what's been going on in your mind, why are you being mean to everyone?" Cinth said, patting the seat beside her.

"I'm not hungry, and I'll be late for school, I have to go get ready," I quickly ran upstairs before she could say anything else.

'Another day, another attempt to avoid people,' I sighed to myself as I got ready for school.

After I finished my shower, I dug through my drawer hunting for what I like to call my 'avoiding people' outfit. I decided on a baggy navy blue hoodie and cozy black sweatpants, and I spotted my sunglasses on the bedside table, so I threw those on as well to complete my incognito look.

Once I was all suited up, I cautiously peeked out the door and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the hallway was clear. Racing down the stairs, I made a beeline for the back door, knowing Cinth would be waiting for me in the living room.

The walk to school felt like something out of a movie, with all eyes on me and whispers following my every step. I caught a glimpse of my reflection in a huge store window and couldn't help but feel satisfied - I looked like a total stranger to myself. The scene at school wasn't much different, with curious stares making me feel like I was on display.

Just as I thought I could slip under the radar, I heard my name being called out behind me, and my heart sank. Turning around, I saw Tia hurrying towards me, disrupting my plans to avoid any social interactions like a pro.

But fate had a different plan for me that day. While trying to avoid Tia, I accidentally bumped into someone, causing them to drop their things. It was a moment of truth - do I keep running or do the right thing? I chose the latter and helped the person gather their stuff, all while Tia caught up with me, bursting with questions.

Despite my desperate urge to dodge the impending conversation and Tia herself, I ultimately gave in to my conscience. It was just too hard to ignore her, especially when she looked genuinely concerned. So, as the good person I strive to be, I faced the music and engaged in a conversation with her.

"Hey, are you okay?" Tia asked as she walked up to me, she had a concerned look on her face.

"I'm fine." I told her and we kept walking.

"Hey, why weren't you in school the other day?" I inquired as we strolled along.

"I had a mild fever, and my mom insisted I skipped school so I could recover," Tia was a nerd, she hated skipping school, so I'm sure yesterday was pretty hard on her.

Halfway through our walk to class, Tia finally noticed my outfit.

"What's going on with you?" she asked, as she turned to me with a knowing smile, amusement dancing in her eyes, unable to contain her curiosity.

"Nothing," I said as I denied anything was wrong, but my pained expression must have been a giveaway, so she dropped the subject quickly.

Tia and I had different classes, so we went our separate ways. On my way to my first period class, I saw Jupiter and Devan coming my way. It was a crowded hall, but I was pretty tall, so I could be spotted, plus Devan holds a mean grudge and I think she's still mad about that time in the bathroom. I knew she couldn't do anything, but I didn't want to take my chances.

I quickly went to the lockers, hoping she wouldn't see me. The closer they got, the more anxious and annoyed I got. I held my breath as they closed in. Just as I was about to start dreading the day, I saw them pass, barely sparing me a glance.

I let out the breath I had been holding, relief washing over me. Just as I was about to go, I saw Devan look at me with a smirk on her face.

Why did she seem so satisfied she didn't do anything to me? "Wow, she's so dramatic, gosh," I rolled my eyes and set course for my next class.

~~~

The rest of the school day flew by, with no one else recognizing me. I was about to rush out of school when Jacob, from my biology class and the one I did auditions with, approached me.

"Hi, Jacob."

"Hey, where do you think you're going?"

"Huh?"

"We have drama practice today," oh yeah, I forgot about that.

"Okay, hold on let me go look for Tia, she doesn't know she's in yet."

"Don't worry about that she's already there," Jacob said as he turned to start going.

I stood there for a while, wondering if I should go or not. I really wanted to go home because I was extremely tired, but I loved drama club, it was the best thing for me at school, so I sucked it up and went anyway.

When I arrived at the drama class, I saw Danny and Tia waiting there. I went to join them. As I sat down beside Danny, he gave me a smile and continued talking to Tia. At first, I felt offended by being ignored, but then I heard Tia say my name, and Aidan glanced at me. I realized she had told him about my morning, and he decided not to bother me. I was thankful for that and closed my eyes to sort my thoughts out a bit. Even with my eyes closed, I felt Aidan's occasional stares at me. I chose to ignore them and continue with my thoughts until I felt myself drifting off.

Author's note:
Short chapter? I know but the next one will be longer and better. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment on your thoughts. Thanks for reading, byeeee.