FOREVER MINE - Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

Sarah cradled the phone on her shoulder as she made her bed. This time she'd been the one who woke Sydney early in the morning.

After the night she'd had, she'd hardly been able to sleep. So many things invaded her mind, some more glaring than others. She had to talk to someone about it. It was times like these she missed her mom more than ever. She would've been able to tell her even this. That's how close she was to her. Thank goodness she had Syd.

Angel and his mom were driving out to Los Angeles that night to have dinner with his oldest brother, Sal. He wanted Sarah to come, but she couldn't. She was booked both nights this weekend babysitting. They weren't leaving until late in the afternoon, and of course Angel still wanted to see her today, so he was picking her up in an hour.

Sarah hadn't mentioned anything about Dana wearing his jersey last night. She'd been so busy watching Angel play she might not have even noticed if Valerie hadn't pointed it out. But she refused to let Dana ruin the night for her, and even Valerie had insisted she not let Dana get to her.

"He's totally into you," she'd said. "He couldn't give a rat's ass about her, and she knows it. She is so desperate it's pathetic. Don't go arguing with him because of her. It's what she wants."

Sarah knew Dana would've been showing up at the party, and she wasn't sure if she'd still be wearing Angel's jersey. She hadn't wanted to stick around and give her the pleasure of making them uncomfortable. So she was glad when Angel was so willing to make an early exit.

What had happened in his car hadn't been totally on impulse. She'd watched Dana parade around in Angel's jersey seductively during the game. She even saw Angel eye Dana as she did a dance, caressing the jersey. A small part of her wanted to show Angel she had just as much to offer. It was something she'd been giving some thought to for weeks. With Angel being so ardent, she knew it was just a matter of time.

Though she'd never actually done anything like that before, she'd read about it plenty of times. And Valerie had filled her in as well. Surprisingly, it wasn't so bad, and it was over a lot faster than she had expected. Now, the morning after, she had mixed feelings. But she wasn't sure if she regretted it, yet.

Today would be different. She and Angel had to talk. She'd put up with Dana's antics for weeks now and wasn't sure how much longer she could deal with her crap. The only plans they had were to hang out for a few hours, and she was going to take advantage of it. She was nervous though. The last thing she wanted was to seem insecure. But she was. Every time she'd seen Dana around Angel, it had burned her up, but she'd let it go. She hadn't thought she had the right to demand anything from Angel—yet.

Things were different now. They were exclusive after all, and the jersey thing had pushed it.

She'd been on the phone with Sydney for a while now. He seemed to think she should just ask Angel straight out what was up with him and Dana. From everything she'd told Sydney so far about Angel, even Sydney knew there was no way Angel would've kept quiet if the tables were turned. Sydney had even jokingly started referring to Angel as her badass husband. Then unexpectedly, Sydney asked. "Hey, Lynni, what's Angel think about us being so tight?"

She stopped and closed her eyes. She didn't want to lie but she had no choice. She wasn't about to hurt his feelings. "You know ..." She hoped to sound convincing. "He really hasn't said much about it. I guess 'cause I really haven't gone too much into it." That was true wasn't it? Technically she hadn't lied.

"Hmm," Sydney said. "Maybe it's better that way."

There you had it. As usual, she and Sydney were on the same page. She smiled triumphantly. Her reasoning on not clarifying things about Syd to Angel held a little more validation now. Then as if someone had pushed the slow button on her, making her thoughts warp, he continued.