FOREVER MINE - Chapter 23

CHAPTER 23

The restaurant stayed busy all day. The week before Christmas always was that way with a lot of the local businesses holding their company Christmas parties there. It kept Angel busy though did little to jolt his ominous mood.

He never realized how many songs had to do with lost love and broken hearts until now. He'd found himself switching the channel on his car continuously—sometimes abruptly turning it off all together, thoroughly disgusted with the lump in his throat.

He'd finally turned his phone back on only to find it loaded with unheard messages and texts. Not all were from Sarah, but he cleared them all anyway. Angel wasn't about to chance inadvertently hearing Sarah's voice or reading a partial text of hers. Even that was too painful.

The brunch rush was over, and the restaurant was enjoying a very short break. The afternoon crew had arrived and was getting things ready for the dinner parties that evening.

Sarah's absence was glaringly obvious, so Angel had filled in his family about the break-up, briefly, some more than others. He told his parents they'd decided to call it off since she was going back to Arizona.

Sofia had taken it the hardest and to his surprise was mad at him for not understanding. What was there to understand? Sarah was moving in with another guy, and she'd known it all along.

He made it clear to everyone he didn't want to talk about it. The bitterness only grew stronger each time he did. Sofia must've seen something in him because she asked him not to hate Sarah. Angel had had to refrain from laughing humorlessly. Hating her would be a hell of a lot easier.

For the past ten minutes, Angel sat in the office, staring at the pencil he twirled through his fingers. Sarah's voice from her earlier call was still on his mind. Sofia popped her head in. "Someone's here to see you out front."

Angel sat up. "Who?"

Sofia shrugged and walked away in a hurry.

He got up and walked to the front of the restaurant. As he turned the corner, he saw his guest. Every muscle in his body tightened, and automatically he clenched his fists. Alex left the hostess desk and walked past Angel toward the dining room, oblivious as to what was going on.

Sydney glared at Angel "I got a bone to pick with you."

Maybe this wouldn't be such a bad Christmas after all. He'd felt like kicking someone's ass all week, and now here was Sydney, of all people, calling him out. Sydney wasn't a small guy, and he had a fairly good build, but either way, Angel felt certain he could take him. Hell, the way he was feeling, he had been ready to take Alex earlier. Angel smirked and leaned against the entry archway to the dining room

"I thought you and Sarah would be back in Arizona by now."

Sydney was still glaring at him. "Have you listened to any of her messages?"

Angel's teeth locked and swallowed hard. "I've heard all I need to know."

"Then you know she's a wreck?"

Feeling a dull ache in his heart, Angel shook off any thoughts of Sarah in pain. She was happy now. She was with Sydney, where she'd wanted to be all along.

"I'm sure you'll fix that."

Patrons were beginning to arrive in groups, filling up the front entrance, Sydney moved closer to Angel.

"Is there somewhere else we can talk?"

Angel glanced at the hostess desk. Alex had already sent someone to cover it. He walked out the front door without saying anything, and Sydney followed.