FOREVER MINE - Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

Angel scored an eighty on his Spanish quiz and was happy to be in the game that week. It was an important one too. They were playing their rivals, and both teams were in the running for the playoffs.

Sarah sat in the stands with Sofia, Valerie, and Valerie's friend Monica. Angel's parents had flown out earlier that evening to Florida for Alex's game the next day. Sofia was Angel's responsibility until they got back. Rather than leaving her alone at the restaurant tonight, Angel got the go ahead to close up early and have her tag along with them.

Sarah didn't mind having her along for the night. She liked Sofia, and ever since Sarah started practicing with the track team, they'd gotten a lot closer. Sarah felt bad though. The relay team never even came close to the times Sarah put on the board when she stood in for the fourth place runner during practice. The coach was always going on and on about how heartbroken he was that she wouldn't be sticking around for next semester. She'd started to keep some of the comments to herself because Angel would get so annoyed by them.

The entire week had gone without incident, and now the game seemed to as well. There were a few guys from another school who sat near the girls. One of them was hitting on Sofia, making Sarah a little nervous. She'd looked out onto the field several times, but as far as she could tell, Angel hadn't noticed anything.

When the game was over, Sarah stood against Angel's Mustang in the parking lot. Valerie and the girls, including Sofia, talked to the guys they'd met at the game over by Valerie's car parked just a few spaces over.

Angel had given Sarah the keys to his car in case she and Sofia wanted to sit in it while they waited for him after the game. Sarah had the door open and the radio on. She motioned to Sofia to come over, and she did right away. "What?"

"You're making me nervous," Sarah whispered, trying not to sound like a nag.

"Why?"

"You don't think Angel is gonna be mad if he sees you hanging out with all these guys?"

"That's Alex," Sofia smiled. "Angel's not so bad. He won't be thrilled, but he wouldn't do anything, unless the guys are being disrespectful, and they're not. They're really nice."

Within seconds, Sarah regretted having called Sofia over to her. The guy who seemed most interested in Sofia followed her, while everyone else followed him. Now they were all standing around Angel's car, five guys and four girls. None of them were nearly as intimidating as Angel and his friends, with two of them being short and chunky, and another looking like he was too young to be with them. Sarah knew Angel still wouldn't be happy about it.

The one interested in Sofia was the tallest, best looking of the bunch. Sarah looked up and saw a group of guys walking toward them. It was dark, and they were still relatively far, but Sarah could tell it was Angel, Eric, and Romero just by the way they walked.

When they got close enough, Sarah made eye contact with Angel. He glanced at her then at the group of people standing around his car. Sarah was the only one standing away from everyone. He raised an eyebrow, but smirked.

She knew he couldn't possibly think she'd be dumb enough to stand around his car flirting, but was still nervous for Sofia. She was off toward the front end of his car, talking to the guy who had been hitting on her all night. Romero made the first comment.

"What is this a fucking party?"

Sarah saw Eric speed up when he saw Sofia talking to that guy. "What are you doing over there, Sof?"