FOREVER MINE - Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22

Angel waited impatiently for the light to turn green. He was already regretting having agreed to this. But he hadn't been able to stop thinking about Dana's call that night. Breaking up with Sarah was, without a doubt, the hardest thing he'd ever done, and he wanted to make sure he wasn't making a mistake. But when he called Dana this morning, she insisted she wanted to talk to him in person.

 Alex agreed to cover for him at the restaurant, even telling him to take his time and enjoy—as if he'd be able to enjoy anything the way he was feeling. He hoped Dana would keep it short and to the point. He was in no mood for much more. He was so tired from the lack of sleep the last couple of nights, and just thinking about Sarah made him want to bang the steering wheel.

He picked Dana up, and she announced she wasn't very hungry, but she could go for coffee, so they went to Starbucks. She talked all the way there but not about anything he wanted to hear. As soon as they got their coffee, he cut to the chase. "So, let's have it. What were you talking about Saturday night when you called me?"

"Angel, I didn't know you didn't know anything. I'd hate to cause problems—"

Angel waved it off. "We're done. It's over between her and me. I just wanna know what you were talking about."

Dana seemed surprised. But suddenly her eyes were full of compassion. "I'm so sorry to hear it."

Angel fought the urge to roll his eyes. They'd been there all of five minutes, and he was already losing his patience. "Saturday, Dana."

"Oh, okay. Well, I didn't see them, but I got a call from Lorena, asking me if I knew what was going on with you and Sarah." She fidgeted with her napkin. "She was calling from Lujan Beach and said Sarah was there holding hands and making out with some guy."

Angel could feel it happening all over again. The rage seared through his veins. "Making out? Are you sure?"

"Well I think that's what she said."

Fuck. He should've known better than to think he'd get a straight answer from Dana, especially about Sarah.

"It's important, Dana." There was no masking the irritation in his voice."

"But I thought you said you two are broken up."

"We are." He raised his voice, then stopped to take a drink of his coffee, and give himself a second before speaking again. He decided to play nice. It might calm him down. He reached over and put his hand on hers.

He strained to speak calmly. "It's a pretty big detail, hon. I'm just trying to get it straight."

She smiled at his hand on hers. "Well, let me text her."

She pulled her phone out of her purse and began texting. When she was done, she set the phone down and reached across for Angel's hand again.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" She traced his fingers slowly. "I meant it when I said I'm here for you, Angel. You know that."

Angel forced a smile and sat back in his chair pulling his hand away from her. "I know you did. But I'd rather not."

Just then, her cell phone beeped. She picked it up and read it. "All right, she says they were holding hands, embracing, and gazing into each others eyes. She seemed really happy."

Angel tried to hide the wave of pain that jolted through him as she read the text. It made sense. Not once since he'd met Sarah had she hidden her affection for Sydney. After Saturday, he didn't think the pain could get any worse. Why was he doing this to himself? Why'd he come here? He already knew Sarah was in love with Sydney. Then he remembered. He needed confirmation. And now he had it.