Chapter 3: Bring that Girl Here

The sun was scorching hot but the tree shade was cool. Leyla sat on a blanket with her arms wrapped around her knees. Bill and the other garden workers were engrossed in digging up the rose tree that had started to wilt.

The garden behind the mansion seemed to have roses of all different sorts. The rose was said to be the national flower of the Berg Empire and the flower that the duke's mother and grandmother adored.

Due to another day of gunshots coming from the forest, Leyla wandered nervously around the cabin. Uncle Bill had seen her nervous state and decided to bring her out into the garden. Her mind was put to rest when the sound of gunshots faded away.

Is it really okay for me to rest when Uncle Bill is working under the burning sun?

Leyla uncomfortably looked at Bill. She slowly closed her eyes and let out a small sigh. Uncle Bill threatened to get angry if she helped him. He told her he hated children who don't listen. Even though Leyla's heart wasn't at ease, she decided to wait for him until he finished his job.

When Leyla opened her eyes again with resignation, she was startled by an unfamiliar boy standing in front of her. The neatly dressed boy looked like he was around Leyla's age.

"Hey."

When their eyes met, the boy greeted her with a lovely smile. He was a boy with charming platinum hair.

"You live here?"

The boy looked around and asked solemnly.

"Yeah. With Uncle Bill."

Leyla answered as she squinted her eyes.

"Mr. Bill? You mean that scary gardener guy?"

"He's not scary."

"Really? Seems scary to me."

The boy tilted his head and casually took a seat next to Leyla.

"Do you live here too?"

Leyla asked with caution. The boy smiled and shook his head.

"Nah. I followed my father. He's the family doctor at the Herhardt household. He's here to give Madam Norma a medical examination. I come here with my father sometimes. Madam Norma said it was okay."1

"I see."

"How old are you?"

"Twelve."

"Same. But you're kinda small."

The boy staring at Leyla began to laugh. Leyla's cheeks started to flush bright red in fury.

"You're small too."

"I'm the tallest in my class though."

The boy stretched out his back to prove his tall height. He certainly looked a little taller than his age.

"Anyways... You're still shorter than Uncle Bill."

Leyla whispered softly. The boy giggled again at Leyla's words. He seemed like a happy-go-lucky child.

"Hey, it's impossible to find a kid or even an adult taller than Mr. Bill."

"I'm not so sure about that."

Leyla picked at the grass growing near the blanket for no reason. Her delicate fingers slowly tainted green. She wished the boy would quickly go away but he showed no signs of getting up.

"Do you want some?"

Leyla, who then focused her attention on the peach sitting at the edge of the blanket, asked impulsively. The boy gladly nodded.