Chapter 51: Are You A Crow?

‘Insane.’

Leyla belatedly recalled a stark realisation about him.

‘Yes. Duke Herhardt is insane.’

“Ouchhh!”

“You must answer me when I ask you a question.”

Leyla’s breathing was ragged as Matthias smirked and tugged at her hair. Unlike the time he chased and slammed her against the tree trunk, his touch was gentle. However, the shame and apprehension of being dragged by the hair muddled her mind and prevented her from noticing his loosened grip.

“Leyla.”

His voice sounded huskier.

Leyla tried to step back, but the tree trunk blocked her escape. Although they had both run for quite a while, Matthias’ breathing had already stabilized. Meanwhile, Leyla kept panting erratically. As her chest heaved up and down, the sensation of his towering, firm body grew apparent, further adding to her shame.

“Why…”

Leyla shoved his shoulder roughly, her voice shaking.

“Why are you doing this to me?”

Realizing that her two arms’ strength alone won’t be enough to push him away, she twisted her body with all her might.

Matthias pressed his chest closer against hers, amused by her futile attempts. He looked pleased to see Leyla’s helplessness at the state of their intertwined bodies.

“Don’t question. Answer me.”

He looked into her glare, eager and waiting.

“Answer me, Leyla.”

Matthias fiddled with a strand of Leyla’s golden hair, slowly wrapping it around his finger. The soft texture of her locks somehow alleviated the displeasure that had consumed him over the past week. It even managed to water down his irritation from Leyla’s lack of response.

“Don’t you think it’s unladylike to not answer?”

“….”

“Leyla.”

“….”

“Leyla Lewellin.”

Matthias’ grip on her hair gradually gained strength. Overcome with a foreboding feeling, Leyla finally opened her lips in a bout of anger.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

“Didn’t my letter arrive?”

“I don’t know.”

“Leyla, you better think carefully before you speak.” Matthias’ lips spread to a wide grin seeing Leyla’s eyes tremble with fear. “What do you think I’ll do with a useless carrier bird that can’t even deliver a letter properly?”

“You- you promised!” yelled Leyla, “You promised not to shoot Phoebe!”

“Did I?”

“Duke!”

“I can’t seem to understand what you’re talking about.”

Matthias grew more mischievous with the woman who stumbled over her clumsy lies, failing to hide her nervousness. Leyla glared at him briefly before lowering her trembling eyelids.

“…Sorry.”

“For what?”

“You already know.”

“For ignoring my letter, running away, or lying?”

Leyla flinched as he pointed out each of her mistakes. She looked particularly lovely when she was docile, and Matthias regretted not being able to see her downcast, glassy eyes.