INNER CHILD

Narrator

Y/n was still locked in her room and refused to eat, but Minji refused to give up on her. There was something about Y/n that she loved so much.

So, the next day, she returned back to The University library for some more helpful advice.

- Minji POV -

I returned to the library the following day after all my classes and got to looking for books on neglect, child abuse, or even homelessness.

I wasn't really sure what I was looking for, anything would help at this point.

"Oh, Professor Kim!" I suddenly heard someone exclaimed.

I looked up from the book I was about to read and found The Psych Professor standing in front of me.

"I see you haven't given up on your research. I'm starting to think you're not what people make you out to be," She smugly stated.

I just gave her a blank stare.

"So, listen. I gave your question some more thought. More specifically in Y/n's case and neglect seems very likely. Which makes sense why Y/n doesn't make very rational decisions when it comes to their academics," The Professor sat down to talk to me.

I closed the book I had opened and gave her my full attention.

"How do the two correlate?" I asked.

"Well, kids who were neglected don't know how to regulate their emotions. They sort of just act out because they're overwhelmed with their emotions... there was never someone there to comfort them in times of need or someone to make them feel secure of their feelings or needs. It's possible they could have been physically neglected, like food and shelter... or emotionally neglected... like someone to hug when they're hurt or crying," The Professor explained.

"That makes a lot of sense now," I thought to myself as I nodded politely.

"If that is that case with Y/n, then the problem is that we're not our students' parents or guardians," She followed up.

I unconsciously gulped, but quickly tried to catch myself.

"We can't provide food, shelter, or that great of emotional support... but I did hear that you're Y/n's favorite teacher.. and she treats you differently than the rest," The Professor was starting to make me nervous.

"Why is that?" She smugly asked.

I was starting to feel cornered.

"Is there some sort of validation you give her or maybe a specific way you treat her?" She continued on.

I was starting to feel really hot.

"Well, I mean.. I really enjoy her writing," I tried to keep calm.

"Do you compliment her on her writing?" The Professor asked.

I simply nodded in response.

"Ahhhh!" She suddenly exclaimed.

"That must be the reason she acts a bit different this year. I thought she had maybe grown out of her rebellious state, but it's you who's boosting up her," The People chuckled out.

I furrowed my brows a bit confused.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I heard from a few other teachers that Y/n now emails or gives a heads up when she's going to miss class. She also turns in most of her assignments now," She answered smugly.