O N E

The winter has always been a hard challenge to pass for Kim Seungmin, an 18 year old ready to leave the school's boundaries and rules forever. And ever since the new year had started just six months ago, things haven't gotten any easier. A slight gust of wind blew his black hair all around as he held his satchel with two flimsy arms and a horrible posture; trying to trudge through the snow as an addition doesn't make it any easier too.

'You should come over to mine for a study session' his best friend, Han Jisung, had suggested to him earlier at school while Seungmin was reading the daily newspaper for their academy.

'I'd be fun. I could get some snacks on the way home and cook dinner. But you'd have to carry your study books over by yourself...is that alright?' he added, cocking his head to the right and trying to grab Seungmin's attention.

'Or maybe you could get a taxi and-'

'It's fine, Han. I'll get to yours before five' Seungmin had responded, still focusing on a section of the newspaper called "The Daily Bulletin" '

'Food isn't needed though. I can just get dinner on the way back before my train arrives'

'My mum insists, Seung. And there is no way I'm arguing with my mother over chips on a Thursday night or ever, really' Han replied, turning his school chair to face the boy with the ends of his fringe dyed a blonde.

'Well then...I guess it would be nice. What subjects exactly?'

'Math. I'm gonna fail real hard if I don't study up for it, I probably will either way though...oh! And science...and probably humanities...oh but then there is also Health-'

'Okay, Han, I get it. Why don't you go next door and see if Felix wants to come as well? I'm sure he'll benefit equally'

Han threw his head up to the ceiling and let out a huge exclaim in response, making some girls turn to look at him and a group of other boys in the corner look up from their phones in a questioning manner. Han has always been like this since Seungmin first met him: lazy, tired and a person that can easily let a ramble loose from their mouth. He never tries to suppress it below the surface.

'I can't be bothered, Seungmin. Yonbok can find out for himself'

'I don't think Felix would like you calling him that-'

'And I don't care!' Han replied, slapping the newspaper out of Seungmin's hands and looking at him with wide eyes. The rest of the paper fluttering beside his desk in silence.

'Can it just be...us, tonight? I know it may sound stupid but please, it's always so awkward when Felix is over at mine and no offense, but an exchange student like him from Australia isn't gonna make the cut so easily. He is always so weird and talkative-'

'Just like you then?' Seungmin thought within his head, while he listened to the rest of Han's speech about someone who never gets a chance to hang out with him.

'And beer, he always wants ginger beer. Like, I'm sorry, but ginger beer isn't in our house's fridge AND WE'RE NOT A DAMN SUPERMARKET. YOU CAN'T JUST DEMAND SOMETHING WE DON'T HAVE' he added, raising his voice.

So here Seungmin was, trudging through thick layers of snow and trying to not loose his balance with a bag as heavy as a rock on his left shoulder. He had left from the train station only a few minutes prior to walking through the snow infested park, meaning that Han's house was thankfully, only a block away. All of the stores nearby were already closed and the smell of rainfall lingered in the air above as the moon shone in the pitch black sky. The only light (besides a few lampposts) was the moon, staring right back at him high above.