Fading Echoes

"I wake up slowly in the sun, and at my eyes, I realize I overslept, and the same was true for that little girl, Aria. I tried to wake her slowly, but my heart melted as she's sleeping so peacefully. I don't want to interrupt her, so I let her sleep as much as she wants. I look around and see Sylvia's not in the room, so I brush my hair and take a long shower. I feel so dirty, and, of course, I don't put my clothes on. I was so happy that the weather today was clear, the sun shining through, dispelling shadows. So, I enjoyed my morning, eating breakfast slowly. The girl woke up so happily, her eyes still having that greenish-blue color. I'm still confused, but anyway, when she sits and wants to eat with me, her hand becomes transparent, as if she's disappearing. I'm so confused and hold her hand slowly. Some parts I can feel the existence of her hand, but at the same time, I can't. So, I look at her with a really warm and comfortable smile.

'I don't want her to panic. "I don't care; are you feeling anything wrong?" She looks hesitant to tell me anything, pulling her hand and putting it in her clothes, as if she doesn't want to show it to anyone. I was so confused why she hesitated as if something bad might happen. So, I reached and got a bit closer to her, put her on my lap, and pat her head as she got more comfortable.

'I will not judge you, but I want to make sure. Okay, so if you feel anything hurting, just let me know.' She looked down, as if something bad happened, and she didn't want to confess. So, I still looked at her warmly until she opened up and told me what happened. 'So, what's happening, Mommy? I don't want you to get angry, but is something wrong?' I don't know why she fears me; I didn't do anything to her. That's my future self that's hard on children. She's still just a child.

I still tried to comfort her until she looked at me with eyes full of guilt. 'I used one of your spells, turning time and all of that, and I was successful. But suddenly, I can't feel my hand or my legs, and I can't move them, and I feel so scared.' She trembled from fear, thinking of the worst-case scenario. I held her, trying to give her more comfort, and looked into her eyes, making her feel like what she did is nothing at all and everything would get fixed. That was my hope, and I booped her nose. She shrunk and put her hand on her face.

'I was expecting this to happen, so let me tell you what will happen, okay? When you disappear here, you'll appear in the first place you mixed this. So don't worry too much, let's enjoy this time.' Her smile was weak, but I petted her to make her at least feel like nothing bad would happen.

We slowly began eating breakfast, telling jokes, making her laugh, making her so happy. But suddenly, she came towards me and hugged me, tears falling down her face. I don't know what happened, but I saw a small flicker coming from her and on her legs as if she was disappearing in the air. I didn't realize that it'd happened; I just saw her slowly turning to glowing ashes that flowed away. 'Mommy, you will see grandmother, and she's beautiful like you.'

Tears formed in my eyes; I couldn't control my emotions. I felt like my heart was aching as she disappeared, as if she was part of me and now she's gone. And she said things that tell me her grandma will be so beautiful like me; it's as if me and my mom didn't die. I began to cheer up a little bit, with joy. I knew the smiling would be happy, but it's not fully happy. Her disappearing broke my heart, but at the same time, I remembered when Sylvia told me that this magic would last only a few days, maybe three or four. So, I think I enjoyed her existence, but I hope my future self won't punish her so badly; he's a nice kid.

I got up to try to find Sylvia and Ethan, and when I got to my room, I opened that door and found it empty. I expected Ethan to go through any type of adventure, but instead, all the belongings of Ethan were disappeared. So, the only thing I could find was a letter on the desk. My heart sank as I realized he was gone. I sat down, picked up the letter from the desk, and opened it. My hands were shaking drastically as I read the letter, and tears began to fall. It felt like someone broke my heart; seeing him as family that never betrayed me and that I could trust. But I read at the bottom of the letter, something more heartbreaking.

He left because of his duty, and he told me that he hoped I'd find happiness. But when I found happiness, I can't trust anyone. I sat down, tears falling, feeling like I was breaking into pieces. I heard Sylvia's voice roaming around, but I didn't get up from my place; I just kept shedding tears and my broken heart forming on me. I don't know if it'll fully heal, even if after a hundred days. Sylvia heard my crying from outside and came inside, so worried. She didn't find the girl, and she didn't find Ethan either. She tried to find the girl, and I told her she turned to glowing ashes. She was understanding, hugged me, and tried to comfort me.

'It's okay, you know. Aria said that you are her mother and you can see in the future. You just have to wait, and plus I will always be here for you. You will not be alone.' I pushed her away with my old tears and shrank, feeling my heart already broken.

I didn't know how to express this pain, as if it's something that makes people feel insane. How could I tell her the truth if nothing happened from the beginning? I tried to let myself be comfortable, saying that he is just a friend, but he is part of my family. How could he betray me, the only one from the beginning who was loyal to me? How can I trust anyone? How will I—

Tears were still pouring from my eyes; I didn't say anything or even express it to her, just tears. But instead of letting me go, she got closer, hugged me again, and tried to make me comfortable. I rested my head and began to cry so hard, like a baby. I cried as if it's something I always lose, feeling like I'm always losing things, sacrificing things. But this time, I'm not the one who gets sacrificed. Why do I feel so sad, why do I feel so much in my heart? I can't do this every time, bottling my feelings, something that makes me explode.

'It's okay if sometimes we have to let go. I know you're hurt because this little girl means so much to you. It's okay; we can face everything, we can do everything.' I looked at her

"I looked at her as if she's insane; my eyes darkened, and I looked at her coldly from the bottom of my heart. I screamed at her, my anger so high, breaking walls, breaking everything, and breaking my heart with it.

'Sylvia, it's not just about the little girl; it's about Ethan. He left us, and now I have to forget it like nothing happened. He took all the lonely days in our life. You know he was a part of our family, making us smile even on the hardest days. And you, what? We just forget, as if nothing happened.'

Sylvia tried to comfort me more, and as I felt myself slowly drifting away, my throat sore and a headache, I didn't want to say anything. I'm just so tired of blame or losing people. I hate this feeling of being betrayed and abandoned.

'Mia, it hurt me too. You can yell at me all the time, make me feel that pain every day, but we have to move on. You have two choices: go find your mother or go and find Ethan. You can't always be responsible for other people's actions; you have your own will.'

I kept my silence, tears streaming down, listening to her carefully. I felt some of the responsibilities I took now gone, hearing that I don't have to take other people's actions, realizing I have to focus on my own goals. I returned the hug to Sylvia; she's my friend, my only best friend for now.

[Ethan's POV]

I got a horse, looked at the place, saw Mia sleeping alright, and left the letter on the counter. I didn't want to interact with her; I felt my heart aching for a little bit of connection, but I thought my best goodbye would be more painful. So, I gathered my stuff, went to my horse, and began riding directly back to Eric, knowing that he needs me now. I started writing, but I didn't want to speak anything; the pain in my heart just wouldn't leave me alone. The journey would take some days to return to Eric because the place is so far from the small village of their Guild. During this long journey, my heart always sank, and tears only fell. I have so much regret, but I have to do my duty. I've broken my loyalty, but she's better off without me. I only held her back; even if I try to make things better, nothing will work. I stopped at a certain point, made sure the horse wouldn't run away from fear, and set up a fire to ensure the place was safe. After that, I hunted for something to eat, found two bunnies, killed them, and cleaned them up nicely. I put them on the fire until they were cooked, and I ate some slowly.

I was thinking about the memories of me and Sylvia, and the meal was just too good for me. I don't want to mix things up, but I can't deny that I can't breathe, as if someone's pressing the air down, making it hard to breathe, and tears keep falling. I slowly tried to manage all those feelings, getting quieter and quieter until I fell asleep. I have a long mission; it is to bring the Rebellion."