suspicious klahadore

"Hey Luffy, isn't there something you wanted to talk to Kaya about?" Usopp asks, trying to change the subject and thereby releasing the tension.
"Oh yeah! Usopp tells me you own the shipyard." Luffy says excitedly while stuffing more food in his mouth. "Actually, my parents founded the shipyard," Kaya says. "Merry has been running the business since-" I look into her eyes. While she hesitates, there is a bit of trauma and hurt. Just as if she is recalling the memories. "Well. Since they passed." She finished. No one knows what to say to that. But, there's no need for that as she continues. "That is all about to change. As tonight, at midnight, I'll be the sole owner." My eyelids were about to shoot open, but I managed to keep calm so no one could notice. It's all coming together. I don't have strong evidence but I am certain. Klahadore will be doing something tonight. Something bad. And just now that we are interfering, he is trying to get rid of us.

"Well, that's perfect! We want to buy a ship from you." Luffy speaks up, freeing me of my thought process. "I see." Kaya smiles. "Usopp has told me you are sailors." Usopp smiles at her. "No, Luffy-" I try to stop him but "No, not sailors. We're pirates." I let my head fall in my hand. Usopp almost choked at the sip he took from his drink. "This ought to be good," Zoro says, taking another sip of his drink. I look up again. Kaya looks shocked. Not knowing what to say, at Luffy. She takes a quick look at everyone from our crew. "Pirates?" She sounds a little scared. I don't blame her. "Yep." Luffy smiles at her and continues "We haven't sailed for long, but we already defeated an evil clown, raided a marine base, and taken down a captain with an axe for a hand." Nami can't believe he just told everyone about us being pirates, Zoro is scratching his forehead and I closely watch everyone at the table. Klahadore is very skeptical. There is a very certain look on his face I can't really decipher. I am guessing he is now rethinking how to unalive us since it's clearly not going to be that easy. Kaya on the other hand was relieved ever since Luffy continued and stayed seated after he had outed us for being pirates. "These sound almost like your adventures Usopp!" She says. "Yeah..." He chuckles nervously at that. It's a very subtle nervousness though. That guy is a great liar. "That's crazy." He added. "And we're just getting started" Luffy climbs on the table. Just when I thought he saved his own buttocks, just about getting the act together he had to fuck it up again. The smiles dropped, mouths opening in slight shock, and the boys not existential manners. "What are you doing?" Klahadore ran around the table, madly trying to get him off. "Get off there at once!" "My dream was to become a pirate ever since I was little." Oh no, not another of his little motivational speeches, containing the same exact information every time. Nami and I share a look. Kaya is listening closely. Luffy walks towards Kaya, not stopping his speech. Eventually, he came to an end with the part outlining his dream. He hands Klahadore his glass, bending down to Kaya. He puts his hands on her shoulder. "Now, you have a beautiful ship. A caravel with a sheep figurehead. It spoke to me. It is the ship we need to follow our dreams." Nami, Zoro, and I all exhale a deep breath of disappointment. "I promise we're going to take good care of it. Maintain it. Treat it like one of our crew members, because a ship is also a home." Kaya smiles a little at his words. I think he's going to win his bet with Nami. He's got her bagged up.

"That'll be quite enough." Klahadore interferes. "I should have known Usopp only brings riffraff to our doorstep." The way he spoke so fast and nervous, I think we are just about ruining his plan. It's like Luffy's speech caused his mask to fall off. He has even used riffraff. That's not very formal and nice of him. "Klahadore, it's okay. It was –" She began coughing. "Now look what you have done. You have upset Miss Kaya." He did not. It was you! "All of you, out of this house at once!" "No" Kaya manages to say quietly in between coughs. It's late. Let them stay the night." Kaya orders. Luffy smiles at her. "As you wish, Miss Kaya. But they will leave first thing in the morning." He leads her up, presumably to her room.

"That went pretty well," Luffy said contently. "Don't you think?" He looks at his crew. "Not exactly," I say.

Everyone has gone up to their rooms. Nami and I sat on our bed and changed into more comfortable clothes. Still from Kaya though. "Kairi, do you know something I don't?" She asks me. I was considering being sarcastic and saying I know a lot of things she doesn't know, but I am not sure if she would take it the right way. We haven't been around each other enough, yet. "I'm certain Klahadore is up to something," I say bluntly. "Oh," She says surprised. That's actually not what I meant. But what are you talking about?" "What are you talking about?" "Nothing." "Well, you had something in mind." I need to know what she meant. "Trust me when I say that whatever I was about to say is not nearly as important as what you are saying, Kairi." "Alright, but I need to get back to this." She nods. We are probably not getting back to it. "I don't have much evidence, it's pretty much all just speculations so far, but surely Klahadore is trying to get the sipyard. Maybe he is just trying to discuss it with Merry and Kaya, but for that he was way too mad at Luffy's speech, trying to get us the ship. And Kaya's sickness with a special diet that makes no sense. It's unusual." "I think that's a little far-fetched. Do you know how long he has been her butler? It must have been many years." I lower my head, rethinking, maybe I can change her mind with more information. Unfortunately, this is basically all I have. I don't think she is taking body language as proof. "And like you said, you don't really have any evidence. Let's just leave it at that." I nod. I'll just have to keep an eye out.

Nami gets up and takes a big sack out of her backpack. She swings it over her shoulder and turns around, facing me. I laugh a little at the sight. "I was wondering whether you have a bigger bag on you." She gets a little red. "Well, we both know you knew." She laughs slightly. "Speaking of knowing, do you know where the most valuable things would be hidden in a mansion like this?" She smiles innocently. "Depends on what you are looking for." "Anything. Everything." "Come on, let's have a look, shall we?" She squeaks happily. As we are at the door, I ask "Was this what you wanted to ask me about earlier?" "Not really, but this is so much better." She opens the door and checks for staff.

We make it to one of the big halls. The display cabinets are filled with all sorts of valuable stuff. Nami decides to take a candleholder. I look at her questioning. "What? This is heavy. Must be silver. And easy to sell." She whispers. Hmm, yeah, makes sense to me. She takes another couple of items, while I look around, inspecting. I see plenty of family photos. None of them have Klahadore. One has another butler on it, but I haven't seen him around here. There is one picture, maybe a year old at most, that has Klahadore, Kaya, and Merry on it. That is the only one I could find.
We had to stop what we were doing, as we heard footsteps approaching. We quietly made a run for the closest door.