duel's discussion

"You're Dracule Mihawk." He states the obvious. He looks at him but doesn't bother. "I have business with your captain. If you know what's good for you, you'll hand him over." "We don't know anyone named Luffy, right guys?" Nami asks. She looks at me confused seeing I'm on the verge of crying. Zoro has already stood up. "Zoro?" She asks.

"I've been following your career since I was a child. It's an honor to finally meet you, sir." Zoro declares. "Thank you," Mihawk answers a little annoyed at him. "Which is why it pains me to inform you, that tomorrow morning, you are going to die." Zoro walks past him.
Nami and Usopp shriek up. "Wait, what?" Zoro comes to a halt and turns back around. "I, Roronoa Zoro, challenge you to a duel. To the death." It's over. He just signed his death wish.
Mihawk turns around. "I've never heard of you." "They call me the demon pirate hunter. But my lifelong dream is to best you in single combat and become the greatest swordsman in the world." "You're serious." "Accept my challenge. You'll see how serious I am." Zoro is dead serious.

"You can't let him do that!" Nami shouts at me. I can only shrug. "I thought you guys were friends! Are you going to let your friend die right in front of you?" "It's not my decision to make!" I shout back. "Do you think I want any of this? It's his lifelong dream. Do you want me to interfere with your dream?!" She gets quiet. "Didn't think so," I say. I cross my arms, let the tears roll a little, and watch Zoro.

"Very well," Mihawk answers. "And when I'm done with you, I'll take your captain." With that, Mihawk leaves. Zoro comes back to the table. "What the hell did you just do," Nami said madly. I didn't even manage to look at him. I don't want him to think I don't have faith in him. I just think Mihawk is a notch too big for him. It'll be tough. I'd never tell him though.

We made it back to the Merry. Zoro is preparing his swords. Nami is trying to talk him out of it, which I know is not going to work. Usopp has left to get Luffy. I'm not sure he is of any help at all. I've given up. I sit on the couch and just let it get over with.

Usopp walks in, followed by Luffy. "Luffy! Maybe you can convince him!" "What's going on?" "Let me tell you what's going on. Your vice-admiral grandpa has sent a warlord of the sea after us to send you in and instead of running the other way that idiot of a first mate has challenged him to a duel to the death! And I seem to be the only person trying to keep him from dying!" Luffy looks past Zoro straight at me. Oh, yeah, technically I'm the first mate. I guess Nami just assumed it was Zoro first. "It's Zoro, Luffy. Not me." "Oh, I see." Nami goes on to try and talk Zoro out of it. She really does care. It's sweet... in a way. "You are a fly to him. Something to be swatted and forgotten." "Not if I beat him." "You won't!" He takes a look at me, hoping I'll back him up but I can't help looking down. I mean he does bear a chance. Unfortunately, it is very very slim. I know he won't let us interfere, but if he did that chance would be much bigger. "You don't know that," he spats back at Nami. She pauses and takes a look at Luffy. "Are you not going to talk him out of it?"

"Luffy. What did I tell you when I was tied up on that pole? Back at the marine base." "What makes you think I wanna play pirates?" "No, the other thing." "I kill your kind for a living?" "No..." He groans. "Oh. I know. That you made a promise to someone a long time ago to be the world's greatest swordsman." "The only way to do that is to beat Mihawk in a duel and take his title. I intend to do just that." "Even if you die in the process?"  Nami buts in. "Are you really not going to do anything about it?" Luffy starts to smile. "It's his dream, Nami." She's taken aback. "I can't get in the way of anyone's dream." She hesitates for a second.

"What's it gonna take? Do you want me to say you're the best? You're the best, okay?! We all know that. We all think that. You are the best I've ever seen. But, you are not better than him. If you fight him now, you are going to die." She's out of her breath by presenting her speech. "Why do you even give a damn?" Zoro barks back. Oh, he really shouldn't have said that. Clearly, it was hard for Nami to open up and show her vulnerable side but shutting her off like that will make it hard for her to open up ever again. "Because you are my friend, you idiot!" "You said it yourself. You don't have any friends." Well, that's just perfect. Really hit the nail on the head. I shake my head in dissapointment. Nami looks around at the others, hoping for some sense of defense for her but no one dares to say anything. I don't think Zoro meant it. And I will talk to Nami and assure her we don't think that way. Just right now is not the time. I will have to bring it up later. And with that, she left. Alright, I will go and talk to her right now then, I guess. I follow and don't even look at the others. I am only shaking my head. I hope the guys feel guilty.