Chapter 1: Caroline

"Ember!" I heard my mother yell from downstairs. Madden's hazel eyes grew wide matching my own. Our legs were tangled together and we were breathless from our kissing session. Before sneaking Madden through my second story window, in which our large oak tree acted as a ladder, I had checked downstairs and my mother had fallen asleep on the couch.

I motioned for Madden to stay quiet with a finger to my lips and quietly made my way downstairs to my doom. I was sure that I had been caught sneaking Madden up to my room which is against the law in Illeá not to mention, my mother would go crazy.

"Mom?" I said, reaching the last creaky step. I heard panting as I made my way through what someone would call a kitchen but it was a tiny room with an ice box, a stove and a small table. Turning into our sitting room, I spied my mother. She was doubled over, holding herself up with her elbow, the torn couch mostly supporting her. The hard wooden floor beneath her was soaked. She had gone into labor. At first, I was too stunned to help or even move.

"Ember, maybe help?" She asked, grunting again while grasping her small bump. I eyed her up and down in horror.

"Mom. There's nothing I can do," I said reaching for her arm so she didn't have to hold herself up. I lowered her slowly to the floor and helped her lean against the couch. My father worked nights as a miner, this explained why we were the most poor of Cast 5's. He had a 6's job. We also didn't own a phone and for sure would never own a car. She screamed once more as she held her small bump. "What can I do?"

"Honey, I'm going to need someone-" she paused and let out a slight whimper, "Go to a neighbors house. The Bowden's own a phone," she finished.

"Mom, that's two blocks away," I told her. I debated my options quickly while she grunted. I'm not fast, many activity classes had proven this before I reached eligibility to work. But I do know someone who is fast. I used to watch him in fascination as he sped ahead of the rest of the class, always winning races by a landslide. "You're going to kill me for this," I whispered to myself.

"What?"

"Madden!" I yelled. It took a moment and I could picture him debating on whether to answer my call or sneak out my window. After a beat, I heard his footsteps making their way down the stairs.

"What is Madden doing here?" She asked and then let out a scream.

"Let's not focus on that, Mom. He's going to run to the Bowden's because he is much faster. He'll call for help and Dad's work," she nodded, thankfully not dwelling on the fact I broke the law with Madden in my bedroom.

Madden left the door, sprinting. All we had left to do was wait. I had always been uncomfortable in any situation that included nudity and this was completely crossing the line but my Mom's panting began heavy and her whimpering came more often.

"Ember, she's not going to wait any longer. I need to push," she told me no longer then two minutes after Madden left.

"Mom, no. I can't do this. They don't teach this in school," I said standing up, I began to pace back and forth. They taught us very little about human anatomy in school because you begin working at age twelve. There isn't much you necessarily need to hear about at such a young age. "They did teach us that babies have to be carried nine months though. Mom, you're only six," I said, more worried now for my little sister then having to deliver her with no knowledge of what to do.

"I know, I know. But she's not going to wait, Ember. You have too, please," she said, lurching forward. "Go get some towels from the bathroom, hurry."

I ran to the bathroom and picked up some of our darker, ratty towels. I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror. The dark circles under my aqua eyes are proof that Madden had kept me up the past few nights. My dark curls were plastered to my forehead and neck because of nervous sweats. I sprinted back to my mom. She leaned her hips up so I could place the towels underneath her then she lifted her nightgown up. She stayed leaning up against the couch which was a smart move in the long run because she never would've been able to hold herself up.

"Okay, mom. I'm uhm... I am ready," I said, placing my hands out.

"Ember, hold your hands closer. She's not going to shoot out at you," she whimpered. I was way to uncomfortable for this. I kind of hoped that a doctor would barge in before it got this far.

I placed my hands close to underneath her and she began to push. It took what felt like a billion pushes before my I seen my sisters head. I debated whether I should pull on her or allow my mother to do the work. I chose the latter not wanting to hurt my baby sister. Finally, my mother managed to push her completely out and into my hands. She didn't cry and she was smaller then my right hand. Her black hair was slicked down with white liquid. There had to be something wrong, but despite her imperfections, she was beautiful. Her tiny fingers wrapped around my pinky, I stared stupefied at my sister. Caroline. My mother laid there, sleeping I guessed. Time moved slowly. It felt like hours before I heard someone barge through the door. I still sat there, staring at what had to be a 4 pound baby girl and my still mother.

A doctor looked between my mother and myself. Then, came over to take my sister from my hands. My dad then came in, "Madden, take her to her room. Please," He looked at Madden with rage in his eyes. I didn't have time to think why he was angry because as soon as I looked to him the world swirled to black and I hit the floor.