Chapter 8: Dresses

I awoke in the midst of the night. My room was not my room and my bed was not my bed. It wasn't a dream, I was truly in the palace. The whole thing had been a nightmare only a few minutes ago. I stood from the bed, still in the sundress from the day before, and walked to the door and turned the knob. Locked. They locked me in my own room? I jiggled it a couple more times just to be sure. I stared at the four walls around me and suddenly began to feel claustrophobic. I stared at the balcony doors, surely they wouldn't lock them... Would they?

I took a handle, sent up a quick prayer and pulled open the door. Aha! A loophole in their machine.

I made my way through taking in a huge gulp of fresh air and leaned up against the railing curling my hands around the iron. The night time breeze was soft against my face. I realized this is what I would miss most while here. Being able to do as I please. At home, if I wanted to walk outside to get fresh air, I could and that's something you don't take advantage of until it taken from you. The balcony gave me a view of a breathtaking garden and its aroma filled the air. The billion stars were out forming constellations and the moon shined on. It was a beautiful night in Illéa. I wonder if Madden was staring at the same picture. Or if he was, was he by himself or with another? I couldn't bare to think of him with another girl. He wouldn't move to another's bedroom so quickly would he? No I wouldn't believe that.

Suddenly, a motion below caught my eye so I looked away from the stars and down towards a gazebo in the garden. The figure was clear. His sun kissed skin and hazel eyes left me trembling. He looked troubled, or frantic, I don't know which but either way his eyes were focused on mine. And his eyes... his eyes took my breath away. They looked exactly like Madden's. Tears welled up in my eyes.

Prince Gabriel didn't smile as he had at my picture on the screen, he stared, almost confused. I looked away from him, half intimidated and half because I would not cry I'm front of him. I turned to walk back to my room. I removed my sundress and put myself in one of the nightdresses I brought from home and counted sheep till sleep overtook.
----------------------------
My maids woke me in the morning. Happily laying out my dress for the afternoon. They informed me Dina had made it. It was a short cocktail, lavender baby doll dress. It was simple. It was beautiful.

"Dina... Thank you, it's beautiful. Lavender is my favorite," I told her. She flushed with gratitude and gave me a short curtsy.

I asked them to leave so I could dress because I was rather uncomfortable with them in the presence of my nakedness even though they had offered and insisted I wore a corset which I refused.

"Now, Lady Ember, we were instructed not to cut nor dye your hair," Kayla informed as soon as I let them in the room again.

"Why? Does everyone else get too?" I asked.

"Yes, but we can't touch you miss. Although, I was thinking a soft braid to the side. Your curls are very pretty, Lady Ember. I imagine your hair will look beautiful any way I style it," Alice said as she began twining my hair into a braid. Some curls popped out on the sides but she was right, it looked good. Alice retrieved heels from the wardrobe and motioned for me to put them on.

"There," Kayla said, "Prince Gabriel will fall in love at first sight. There's no way he couldn't love this."

"Why does everyone get to change their hair and I don't?" I asked even though I didn't want to change it.

"I imagine Prince Gabriel was the one who ordered us not too," Alice giggled.

So the Prince like my hair? That doesn't give him permission to not allow me to change it...

Except it does. I was the Kingdoms property at the moment.

My maids led me to the stairs Gregory had pointed out yesterday and it led to the "Main hallway". The main hallway was four floors vertical from what I could see and as for how long, who knows. I couldn't see the end in either direction. At the end of the stairs, Laurie stood with a couple of the other girls and I was guessing we were waiting on the rest.